Evaluating - can Moodle do "customized" course enrollments?

Evaluating - can Moodle do "customized" course enrollments?

por Scott McCulloch -
Número de respostas: 4
I'm considering using Moodle to collect data for various research projects. I thought I'd use "courses" as the separate "research projects", within which I could include all informational pieces, and surveys/questionnaires/etc. I've got a couple of questions to help me figure out whether it would work...

1. Part of what I'd need to be able to do is have a different Informed Consent/Confidentiality Agreement acknowledged for each project - and it has to be explicitly acknowledged before participants can access the project content.

Is there a way to have "customized" enrollments in Moodle?

Something such that in order to enroll in a research project, the potential participant must first read and indicate agreement to the Informed Consent before finalizing enrollment? AND that the Informed Consent can be different for every research project?

2. Can Moodle be configured so that participants (students) can't see anything about each other?

3. Can recorded questionnaires/surveys be done with username or userid rather than real names? (We need to keep identifying information separate from questionnaire data - but we do need to match responses on one questionnaire with those from others.)

I've been using Joomla for this, but it has turned out to be a challenge because there is no ability to group the questionnaires and restrict access based on the project. Once registered, they've got access to everything.

The one thought I had was that if #1 above isn't possible, perhaps I could integrate Joomla and Moodle so that I can use the Joomla site registration to do the customized Informed Consents, and then provide keys for registering for the Moodle-based project upon submission of the registration form. But the integration would need to be pretty seemless, as I've already found that too much complexity will greatly reduce response rates.
Média das avaliações:  -
Em resposta à Scott McCulloch

Re: Evaluating - can Moodle do "customized" course enrollments?

por Martín Langhoff -
Hi Scott!

Moodle can definitely do #1, but you'll have to customise one of the enrolment plugins slightly (you can get a programmer or a Moodle Partner to do it for you). If you head over to the Enrolment plugins forum, you will find plenty of discussion on the matter.

#2 and #3 are really easy to do -- really small customisations. Probably easy enough that an entry-level programmer can get them done.
Em resposta à Martín Langhoff

por Scott McCulloch -
Thanks Martin, I'll check out the enrolment plugins...

I'm trying to meet deadlines for my own dissertation, but if the other customizations are easy, I might try to dig into the code myself to see if I can figure it out - one of my favorite procrastinations has been learning just enough php and mysql stuff to be dangerous! piscando -- of course, I'll have to exercise some self-discipline and wait until I'm done writing! boca aberta
Em resposta à Scott McCulloch

por Just H -
Hi Scott

For a quick fix for 1 how about using conditional activities? (There's a few threads on it, rather than linking to one a search may give you more information).

I've never used it but I would think you could set it up so that the first thing a participant has to do is agree to whatever it is after which the rest of the content would become available - no messing with code that way.

2 and 3, as Martin said, shouldn't be much of a tweak to the code.

Regards
H
Em resposta à Just H

por Scott McCulloch -
Thanks Harry, I'll look into conditional activities. If I can make it so that the first activity is acknowleding the Informed Consent, and none of the others could be accessed until then, then that might just work.