Add course landing page before entering course

Add course landing page before entering course

by Ann-Kathrin Watolla -
Number of replies: 12

Hey there!

I am wondering if there is a possibility to add a sort of landing page (content page with text, video, etc.) for courses before entering the course directly as well as its contents. 

Also, I'd like to then link to these course landing pages from the course list on the frontpage.

I'm using Moodle 3.9.12 with Adaptable 3.9.1.4.

Thanks!

Ann-Kathrin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ann-Kathrin Watolla

Re: Add course landing page before entering course

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ann-Kathrin,

There is a landing page but it only appears before you enroll in the course. Once enrolled, it no longer appears.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best regards,

Michael Milette
In reply to Michael Milette

by Ann-Kathrin Watolla -
Thanks for your reply, Michael!

The page being only visible when you're not enrolled in the course is perfect and exactly what I'm looking for.
I couldn't find it so far. Could you give me a few pointers on where to set up the landing page and add content?

Thank you!
Ann-Kathrin

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ann-Kathrin,

Every course has a Course Summary and a Course Image field which you will find in settings for your course. Both of these appear on the landing page. How these are laid-out on the landing page are controlled by your Moodle theme though you can do some limited styling in the Atto editor.

Pro Tip: To test how the landing page will look, open a new Incognito or Private browsing window in your browser, or in a completely different web browser, and then login as a student who is not already enrolled in the course. That way, you can be logged into Moodle as two different users/roles at the same time. I usually create a Test Student user account for this purpose.

Hope you find this helpful. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Michael Milette
In reply to Michael Milette

by Ann-Kathrin Watolla -
Thanks for the explanation, Michael!

I do always include the Course Summary and Course Image. The issue I have is that usually, the content of the course (sections, etc.) are always displayed on the first page when entering the course as well. I'd rather have students see the landing page with the general info on the course and then decide to engage in the content by clicking on "enroll" (or something like that).

The pro tip is great, though - I will definitely setup a Test Student user account!

Best
Ann-Kathrin

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sounds like you only want the course summary to show with links to various sections/topics/weeks. I'd checkout some of the course formats such as format_flexible (https://moodle.org/plugins/format_flexible) but you can check out the list of course formats at: https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=19
In reply to Mark Sharp

by Ann-Kathrin Watolla -
Thanks for the tip, Mark!

I don't actually want links to various sections/topics/etc on the landing page but rather have one button to "enter the course". I've already checked out different course formats but from what I could find, all of them have the contents (or at least links to them) on the landing page. Any ideas if there is a possibility to create a seperate landing page to implement that?

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In one of your comments you said "then decide to engage in the content by clicking on "enroll" ". So you're talking about someone who isn't yet enrolled, but you have self-enrolment activated, or some other method for someone to enrol themselves? Isn't this the /enrol/index.php page? So if you're looking to update that, you'll need to override some renderers in your theme (/course/renderer.php). https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Overriding_a_renderer

The text that displays on this page comes from the course summary. If you wanted anything more fancier you would need to code that.
In reply to Mark Sharp

by Ann-Kathrin Watolla -
Thank you, Mark - that helps! I will look into overriding some renderers.

by Gita Gosavi -
Thank you for some great discussion here....however I have similar requirement and still trying to find a solution...some help in this regard is appreciated,

Moodle Version: 3.11

BACKGROUND:
1. My participants are landing to my Moodle course via SAML & Deeplink (shared via LTI plugin)
2. Now, a new requirement has come up, where I need to take additional details from the participant before the actual course page is visible to them. This could also be a modal window just superimposing the course and once the participant enters the necessary info and clicks Submit, the course details should be visible.
3. Also, these details are supposed to be new details - requiring some DB changes possibly

Can anyone give me a heads-up on this please?
In reply to Gita Gosavi

by Mark Sharp -
Hi Gita,
I would start your own discussion thread, as you're asking a different question, really. It might be more akin to user registration and I know there are some forum topic on that.
Mark

by tim st.clair -
Picture of Plugin developers
I had a site with a similar situation where courses needed to be delivered either as a series of units, or accessed individually. So we had multiple courses inside a category and a special "landing" course which was placed as the first in the category. The landing course has automatic enrolment for all logged in users - so that anyone can see it. But each of the other courses had both cohort and Paypal enrolment enabled so that people who were assigned to do the whole set of units would be enrolled via the cohort, but other individuals could purchase and then access each unit separately.

We made a child theme of the site theme (it used Moove) and all it did was override the renderers we needed (core_renderer and core/course_renderer).

We then enabled 'Allow category themes' and applied the child theme on the category containing the course / units.

We overrode the navbar renderer in the child theme so that clicking on the name of the category in the breadcrumb bar, course category list and other menus would open the first course in that category - the index course.

It was a bit of work but the index course can be open to everybody without any enrolment and be designed how you like with links or videos or even activities, and child units can have their own enrolment conditions. And people who bought one or two units who wanted to then study the whole course could get enrolled via the cohort and not have to re-complete the units they had already done.

You could (in theory) put the links to the child units on labels and then conditionally lock them using activity restrictions based on some external condition - like a lookup to an external service to see if they qualify for entry (perhaps using my xapi call plugin which is designed exactly for this purpose).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)