Multiple graders for one assignment

Multiple graders for one assignment

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Has anyone come up with a good solution for multiple graders of one assignment?

Every time I walk into this I'm creating workarounds. But now I'm faced with the following:

1. Students turns in assignment
  2. Teacher A grades the assignment using a rubric
  3. Teacher B grades the assignment using the samen rubric, but important: both teacher are not allowed to see the others grading
  4. The rubric has an average per criterium (not on the total score)
  5. This results in an average total score
  6. Student sees only the average score, not the separate rubrics from teacher A and B

This is an excellent system for objective grading. However.... impossible to create in Moodle as far as I know.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Multiple graders for one assignment

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Richard,
That's an interesting challenge that we've come across a few times already. Apparently, there used to be an advanced grading type plugin for this, but that hasn't been maintained for quite some time (if I'm correct).

There are a few underlying challenges to tackle here:
There should be at least 2 graders in the course
It should be possible to assign multiple graders to a submission or group of students
It should be possible to fill out rubrics or marking guides for each grader
The gradebook should handle the partial grades and apply an aggregation method to them

Sounds interesting enough to develop as a new plugin, but who has the time / funding for this?
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"Apparently, there used to be an advanced grading type plugin for this, but that hasn't been maintained for quite some time (if I'm correct)."
Do you have a link?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Well, here: https://moodle.org/plugins/gradingform_multigraders (last update 5 months ago, but only supports up to 3.9).
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you really want to use a plugin I would not take a 2 version out of date figure as an overwhelming barrier. I had assumed that it was something like support for Moodle 2.1 or similar that was the barrier.

Generally upgrading to work with the latest version of Moodle is a small task. I just tried an install on 3.10 and it didn't throw any obvious errors.

I suggest you experiment to see if the feature set meets your requirements and if so, consider arranging for ensuring it supports the latest version of Moodle. The development cost should be modest if any changes are required at all. My own advanced grading method has not required a change to deal with moodle upgrade changes in many, many years.

by Marcus Green -
"Any suggestions would be very welcome!"
Funding of about £/GBP 30K?
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=428343#p1724122
In reply to Marcus Green

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Marcus,

Would you be able to create a new grading method that does:

1. Allow multiple markers
2. Allow it to set that multiple markers can show/hide the grading for each other
3. Allow self-assessment by the student (student grades himself using the rubric)

If so... would absolutely be interested in having this developed. And Joost will pay. (j/k, but we could look at how to fund this as I think more people will be interested)

by Marcus Green -
That figure was very much pulled out of my fundament and was designed to give an idea of the scale rather than an actual cost... smile