Download all home work by a user?

Download all home work by a user?

by Paul Kidman -
Number of replies: 5

I have seen you can download all  submissions for an individual assignment.

I can see where this is useful if I have lots of students with fewer assignments, and would mark their work as I go.

Assuming I had  a high number of assignments but only a few pupils. Is it possible to download all submissions of an individual student across all of the assignments that they have done.

So they may have had 20 assignments in a month but I wouldn't want to do my marking until the end of the month.

I would only want to download assignments that an individual user  had done.

This is more because I also need a printed copy of their work, this would be easier to do per student instead of per assignment. 

Is this possible

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Kidman

Re: Download all home work by a user?

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Paul - I'm not sure I know the best solution, but one way to do what you have in mind is as follows:

1. Open the list of users in your course (Course administration -> Users -> Enrolled users).
  2. Click on the first user's name.
  3. Click on 'Complete report' in the user's profile.
  4. Scroll through the page, locate each assignment uploaded by this user, and save it to your computer.
  5. Go back to the list of users and click on the next user's name.
  6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 for all users.

I know that sounds like quite a manual task, but if you have only a small number of students, the fact that you can download all submissions from each student via a single page (the 'Complete report' page) should offer some relief.

I wonder if an automated process would make sense without introducing an additional layer to make the assignment filenames logical. Even when file-naming instructions are given, students don't always follow them. So even if there is a way to download all the submissions in one go, it's likely that you will experience some confusion about who submitted which document or for which assignment!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by Paul Kidman -
Hi there Ravi

Thank you for taking the time to reply it is appreciated.

At the moment the home work is done using the Online text.
Would I have do disable this and make them use the file upload?
In reply to Paul Kidman

by John Provasnik -
That, or take a screenshot of the online text to serve as your "download" of the file.
In reply to John Provasnik

by Paul Kidman -
This is still not an ideal solution.
and the copy and paste would not be great.

I think moving forwards if the they upload a file and I disable the online submission would work for me.

I don't know whether this can be put forward as a further update to moodle.

giving a way to download content based on user
In reply to Paul Kidman

by Ravi Murugesan -
Hi Paul - Yes, I guess the best option would be to disable online submission and use only file upload in the submission settings.

I think it might be an important use case for teachers to be able to download all submissions for any student, perhaps with appropriate filenames for the downloaded files (eg, matching the assignment name). You could suggest it as an improvement in the Moodle Tracker.