Is STACK very resource consuming?

Re: Is STACK very resource consuming?

by Thorsten Bartel -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers
It was not my intent to claim this work as my own, sorry for any confusion.
The repo is owned by the faculty of mathematics and computer science at the University of Göttingen (as far as I know). I don't have any contact points (yet) and have only looked a bit into existing alternatives to MaximaPool. As the project is public, I thought it could be interesting to share.

As far as I know, it is already used in production, see here:
https://projects.gwdg.de/projects/netzwerk-mathe-digital/wiki/stack-maxima-pool-technical-details

It seems to be maintained mainly by Ilias users, but thanks to the architecture of STACK, this should still make it applicable to anyone using STACK in a Moodle environment.

As far as AWS is concerned I can only speak for myself and what I perceive to be the situation amongst German universities: Most would be very hesitant to needlessly place any service inside a cloud environment. Deployable docker images (such as the one you shared) or install & configuration scripts (such as an Ansible playbook) seem to be much more favored.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Thorsten Bartel

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'Most would be very hesitant to needlessly place any service inside a cloud environment. '
What are the reason for your hesitancy?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Thorsten Bartel -
Picture of Core developers

Very strict data protection laws and the extra effort coming with ensuring compliance.
Setting up your own open source system on premises is much easier in most cases.