Troubleshooting unoconv issues

Re: Troubleshooting unoconv issues

by Ezra Steenkamp -
Number of replies: 2
Eish, unoconv is a problem and very unstable.

Install Google Drive Converter, must better. The only issue is that Google Drive Converter does not change the txt into pdf, but you can manually edit the Google Drive converter file to include txt files also, and works 100%
In reply to Ezra Steenkamp

by Susan Mangan -
I am wondering if the general community agrees with the above statement that "unoconv is a problem and very unstable"?

We cannot just switch to Google converter as privacy issues in our province of BC are quite strict.

We had the same issues as you did Blair and as a workaround we are now restarting the service automatically twice per day to clear up any backlog.

I find myself lurking in the unoconv community once again as one of our faculty just discovered that a portion of their student's document did not convert and he ended up deducting marks. Luckily the student's original Word document showed the actual content which happened to be a Word style for citations and bibliography. I tested the concept of converting the style to text prior to submitting and the conversion works fine after that - but I would certainly not expect a student to do this when uploading an assignment? Is this a "known issue" with unoconv? Perhaps this is just a bug with our installation/versions - I don't know as I haven't delved into it in great detail yet as I just learned about it today. We are running Moodle v3.9.

Very interested to hear from others using unoconv though and their thoughts on some of this stuff. Whether it's just "configuration" or if this tool is truly unstable.
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - we run unoconv on a server for some of our clients and we are always battling with it - our AU office wrote a converter for clients that are able to use AWS which works really well:
https://moodle.org/plugins/fileconverter_librelambda

There are a few other converters in the plugins db but I haven't used them - our NZ team have been playing with a libreoffice docker container recently and we're looking at moving off unoconv as soon as we can.... - if we get that cracked I'll try to make sure we release the converter we end up using.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)