Grader assignment filter not applying (Moodle 3.7.6)

Grader assignment filter not applying (Moodle 3.7.6)

Jonathan Tsoi -
Vastausten määrä: 1

Hi to anyone who reads this,

I'm trying to figure out why the assignment filter is not working. No matter which filter I choose, the students don't get filtered in any way, as if the form is not submitting the dropdown being selected.

Other random notes and symptoms I found trying to diagnose this:

• If I log in as the Editing teacher and try to use the filter, it fails. If I log in as myself (a site administrator), look at the assignment and use the filter, it DOES work for me.
  • If I edit the mdl_user_preferences field where the uesrid is a teacher's ID and the name = 'assign_filter', and I set the value to something like 'requiregrading', the filtering appears to work. The actual dropdown itself still does not work, and selecting other filters in the dropdown does not change the users.
  • I've only gone through a few assignments and teachers so far, but wherever the filter fails, they all appear to have file submission as a common aspect, so far. It may not be relevant, I juts brought it up because my Google searches point me to old (and resolved/fixed) moodle bugs regarding grader filters and file submissions.

The assignment grading page, with the dropdown filters "No filter/Submitted/Not submitted/Requires grading/Granted extension"

Arviointien keskiarvo: -
Vastaus Jonathan Tsoi

Re: Grader assignment filter not applying (Moodle 3.7.6)

Jonathan Tsoi -

Welp, the good news for me is that I figured out what the issue was. The bad news is that I'll have to talk with my manager and ask her if the current solution is worth the possible headaches.

The issue was already brought up at in the bug tracker, but the gist of the error is that if your current role has the moodle/user:editownprofile capability set to "Prevent" (which our website does for Authenticated Users), then you don't have permission to set your own filters either. The solution would to be ensure that it is set to "Allow" (which is its default value anyways, so most people won't run into this).

On our website, we set it to "Prevent" to stop students from editing their own profile with rude names/avatar pictures, so this will be a trade-off between teachers being able to grade a bit faster vs. students editing their own profiles for the lulz.

The current "bug" is being tracked at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-69497 .