Problems with importing a large course

Re: Problems with importing a large course

by Tim Williams -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers
It does (or will do when i've finished it, am working on it as we speak) the following :

1 : Course content including the menus and structure of course pages
2 : Glosaries
3 : Simple Quizzes

It's not intended to be a complete import solution, just the stuff I need and it's a bit of a hack, with bits and bobs randomly copied from other programmes i've written.

At the present time course content will import with reasonably nice menu structures, but with broken images due to the way the image tags in some of our courses are written, this may or may not be a problem for other people. I'm working on a fix for this at the moment. Glossaries work, but you can only have one per course (because that's all we have). I haven't done quizzes yet, maybe tomorrow smile. There will not be any importing of user data.

It's actually designed to work on the IMS compliant learning modules that can be exported from webct using the tool provided by webct, rather than on webct files directly. The format is easier to work with than webct's own files (I did once build an export tool that worked on these files, trust me, they are horrid...) so it also has the potential to work with IMS compliant files from other platforms, though i'm writing this on the basis of what webct actually produces, rather than the original IMS spec, so there might be too many assumtions in there fort it too actually function.

You'll need to look at http://www.webct.com/ims to find out more about the webct export tool.

Once i've got this working I should be able to put together some kind of release, as long as people accept a massive health warning on it's reliability.

In case anybody is wondering, I only started working on this last friday, so it's pretty basic. I would have done this as a direct addition to moodle in PHP, but I don't know any PHP and am in a hurry to build something that works.

I'm hoping that if I can get all this working, I can persuade my boss to switch from WebCT to Moodle.