Adaptable 3.0.0 request for input

Adaptable 3.0.0 request for input

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 100
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I've started work on Adaptable for Moodle 3.9, and I really need to know what 'exactly' is broken in terms of Moodle 3.9 specifically.  Thus on a test server only, install the 'master' branch from https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable and check that the issue has not already been raised here: https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/issues. ; You must also have 'developer level' debugging on in order to get 'stack traces' for posting here.

Therefore please post any issue you find on this thread ONLY.  If you could also list the steps to replicate the problem, then that would be really helpful and assist me to replicate the issue faster.

Thanks,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable 3.0.0 request for input

by Paul Vitagliano -

Moodle Rubric icons are cut off - see attached. Adaptable theme related issue.

Attachment 2020-07-13_10-45-43.jpg
In reply to Paul Vitagliano

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks, I'm not that familiar with rubrics, please could you provide the steps to replicate.

by Paul Vitagliano -

Sure.

• Turn Editing on.
  • Add an Assignment activity (the Moodle Assignment activity).
  • Give the assignment a name (required) and then scroll past most of the settings to the "Grade" settings.
    • For "Grade" select "Point"
    • For "Grading Method" select "Rubric"
  • Scroll to the bottom and click "Save and display"

On the following page you will see that the two Rubric action icons (Edit Rubric and Select from Template) at the top of the page are cut off - only about 20% of the icon and caption are visible.

Also, when you go into the advanced Assignment administration area, and, after you have created/imported the rubric, and you click "Define Rubric," then edit the actual rubric, and then save the changes, the rubric top icons change to 3 icons - Edit / Delete / Publish - and those are cut off too. 

Hope this helps.

Paul

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Paul,

For some reason the 'btn' class was set a height, I've fixed it on GitLab. If you want custom CSS for your install, try adding:

.btn {
    height: auto;
}

Gareth

by Paul Vitagliano -

Thanks, Gareth. We will try to make the modification and then update you on the results. 

Paul

by Carlos Matheus -

Thanks Gareth.

I don't know if I'm missing something here but when I do changes I do not see any results. Do I need to do something server side to make the css reload? Because I even changed the borders just to check and nothing changed in the page.

P.S. I work With Paul. It's part of the same site

In reply to Carlos Matheus

by Gareth J Barnard -

Depends on where you are making the changes and how.  Please explain what you are doing.

by Carlos Matheus -
I went right in the css file for the buttons as you show in the gitlab. Made the changes to remove the Height property on the .btn a and saved the css file.
In reply to Carlos Matheus

by Gareth J Barnard -

Did you 'Purge all caches'?  And why did you not add the custom CSS I mentioned here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=408081#p1647418 to the Custom CSS setting and save?

by Carlos Matheus -
Because I didn't get it the first time you said it. I'm new to CSS in Moodle and theme fixes in it. Just re-read what you said and did it. Obviously it worked.
Thanks a lot for your help and responsiveness.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thanks Gareth for picking up this project.

As mentioned by others, in the course context, there is no option to turn on or hide editing. It is controlled for the entire site by the Front Page function of turn editing on or hide. In my site this is a gear icon on the nav bar, just below the header that appears on the Front Page and at least the Home page of every course.

I had to give all our teachers editing rights to the Front Page so they could edit their course.

We are still crawling as if our Moodle was 1.5. Our host does not alter any core Moodle code and I think they have only added 3 plugins. My organization uses Quiz, Resource folders, Glossary, HTML blocks, Random Glossary Blocks and a Certificate plugin. The only issue I have discovered is with the show/hide.

Hope this helps. I would say our site is degraded but not broken.
Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Thanks Chris,

Do you mean that the 'Turn editing on' link has gone from the administration block? If so, then is caused by a core regression as reported by me on MDL-69249. Otherwise you can always use the Adaptable settings to put the editing button on the navbar.

G

by Paul Vitagliano -

I can confirm that. The Adaptable settings allow you to add/modify the Editing button - under "Navbar Settings."  

When we did our upgrade to 3.9 we have to modify the button display option to bring the button back up normally.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Paul Vitagliano -
Another minor by really annoying glitch. If you use a background image for the front page (under Layout) - every time a Moodle update or plugin update is added to the system, the background image - although the image is still showing as available in the front page image file area, the background image is not applied to the page - as if the link gets broken.

So what we then need to do is to delete the background image (that should be working in the first place) and then re-insert the background image and save changes. The background is then magically restored!

Something is causing that one piece of the Adaptable theme to get broken when Moodle/plugin upgrades take place.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Paul,

What update procedure are you following? Does this happen when you just install a plugin? All very odd.  What exact setting name please?

G

by Paul Vitagliano -

Any procedure that involves a Moodle core upgrade or any plugin/block update, whenever server and/or services need to be restarted after the update. Our background image no longer is showing. We have to re-add it each time.

Here is the area where the background image is added. You can see that the background (behind the blocks) is a sea blue granite look. After an update, I have to delete this .jpg file and then re-add it again to bring the background back up, because the default light blue background replaces the jpg background after an update. Has been happening for about a year now.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, very odd. Does it happen locally on a test server for you?

by Paul Vitagliano -

Yes  - we have three environments - Test, Staging and Production - and all produce the same result. 

I think but I am not sure that something  in the Moodle code is kicking this added .jpg out in Adaptable theme after a restart. Almost like it resets the background to the default color with no regard for an added file to replace. 

Again, it’s not like I can’t add it back and it doesn’t work. It does. But having to “delete” the .jpg and then re-add it to bring the background up is annoying - across the three servers no less. 

by jocelin Devalette -

Hi 

thx for working on such a wonderful themes.

With the update, the scrolling menus don't works:

menus

In reply to jocelin Devalette

by Gareth J Barnard -

What other plugins do you have installed?  As I get on the AJAX response to opening a section:

Attachment Annotation 2020-08-14 124253.png

by Franck Pouffet -

Hi

Thank you for this great theme.

Personally, I just have an error when I log in but it doesn't prevent the operation ... and as it's not regular but just at the 1st opening (I don't have a screenshot to provide you today sad ) ....(it's possible that it just comes from "onlineconfirm" that I installed to facilitate the registrations).

I might as well let you know for the future update of the theme, you never know it might be something to take into account. (I'll complete this post with a screenshot when the problem occurs again...) 

Thank you for everything

Good continuation

Franck

Tinkerer cook smile

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - to remove signature, since they are not allowed in the forums according to the Moodle.org site policy https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080 - original submission Tuesday, 18 August 2020, 10:09 AM)

In reply to Franck Pouffet

by Gareth J Barnard -
Thanks Franck, but you've left my mind spinning what the error is as you've not told me anything about it, just that it exists!

by Franck Pouffet -
Yes I know but as it's just an information that tells me "connection error" but not systematically I didn't manage to make a screenshot today! (The thing is runaway ,-)
Otherwise, there's just this error message and when I click on "continue" I get to my assignment without any trouble...

But I promise, when it happens again, I'll take the screenshot.

In all this, I thank you for your concern.

Have a nice day.

by Franck Pouffet -

Hi

Well here's the thing... as I wasn't sure what to capture, I captured the error then followed the link to moodle and did a page inspection. This last one showing "stuff" in red, I present it to you you never know... smile

Thanking you for your action.

Yours sincerely

Franck 

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Franck,

That is your site specific and nothing to do with Adaptable.

G

by Franck Pouffet -

Hello Gareth 

All right, I'll keep looking, so...

If I can help update the theme, I'll be sure to come and see you.

Thank you for your help.

by Philippos Papadopoulos -

Hi Gareth,

I was using Adaptable with 3.6 and after upgrading to 3.9 at first I didn't notice anything broken smile. Hopefully that is good news but maybe my site is relatively simple. The main issue I noticed was when I first logged out and tried to login again: the login page form is not propertly laid out on the page (except for mobile (small) form factor). It is still functional but not presentable, with the text entry elements flush against the window edge. I don't have a screenshot as I switched to boost in the interim... Happy to try it again if there is preliminary release later on

Hope this helps

philippos

In reply to Philippos Papadopoulos

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Philippos, replicating and a screenshot would be helpful.

by Jens Westermann -

Hi,

we switched from 3.84 to 3.92 and Adaptable 3.0.0. After upgrading, our main page hase changed. Choosing courses from the drop down menu, the colours have changed to unreadable. At first, it seems that there is no text in the box. Hovering with the mouse over it, the text is visible, even not clearly because of the colours. I attached two screenshots. We also tried the latest master build.

With Moodle 3.84 and Adaptable 2.2.2:

With Moodle 3.84 and Adaptable 2.22

With Moodle 3.92 and Adaptable 3.0.0:

With Moodle 3.92 and Adaptable 3.0.0

Regards,

Jens

In reply to Jens Westermann

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, ta.

by Jens Westermann -
Sorry, I don't understand. Is this a bug?
In reply to Jens Westermann

by Gareth J Barnard -

Its an anomaly.

by Jens Westermann -
Sorry for my dumb questions, I'm not a developer. Can it be fixed?

by Lynn Daley -
There is no cog icon to rename/delete H5P activities in the content bank.

In reply to Lynn Daley

by Gareth J Barnard -

Make sure 'editsettingsbutton' is set to show a cog.

by Sakariya Aynashe -
Hi Gareth, Thanks for providing great support for the adaptable theme.
I am using moodle 3.9.2 and adaptable 3.0.2.

I have several issues I would like to seek guidance.
1. On the main navigation menu, I have sub-menus (upto 4 levels), but when I hover over the parent-menus, all of the child sub-menus are displayed including grand-child menus (I only want the child-menu displayed) - screenshot attached.
2. On the login page, is there a way to disable the "top text box" and "bottom text box". They got displayed even if I leave them empty. (screenshot attached).
3. Finally, is it possible to display the social icons at the login page so that they are visible before even login in.

Thank you in advance,
Sakariyatop and bottom text boxessub-menu hover over
In reply to Sakariya Aynashe

by Gareth J Barnard -

1. Test data please.
  2. Cannot replicate.
  3. But they are when the social icons are in the footer.

by Sakariya Aynashe -
Hi Gareth,
I was not sure how to provide test data, but here is what I could provide. Hope it helps replicate the issues.
1. Test data: I set the menu under Site administration>>Appearance>>Themes>>Theme settings
Then under "custom menu items", I created the menus and sub-menus as follows. (which worked fine with other themes):

Student Services
-General Services
--Mission
---Alumni Page
----Financial Info

NB: When I hover over the above submenu "Mission", all the sub-menus in "Alumni Page" and "Financial Info" gets displayed. While normally, only the "Alumni Page" sub-menu should be displayed.

2. Test data: under Site Administration>>Appearance>>Themes>>Adaptable>>Login Page

3. You are right Gareth, I can use the footer to display social icons.

Thank you in advance.

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Sakariya Aynashe -

Dear Gareth,

You are the best Gareth.
I have just patched the above on a test server and they both worked fantastic.

Thank you so much for your absolutely unwavering support on the platform, really appreciate.

Sakariya

by Sakariya Aynashe -

Hi Moodle Community,

I am using Moodle 3.9.2 and adaptable theme 3.0.2.

I wanted to change the font size for my course name and course participants. I wanted the course names to be bigger while the participant names need to be smaller. The opposite of the screenshot attached below.

Any idea of what settings I would need changed or CSS that I may need to add.

In short:
Below, course name (Test Course) is small - I want it bigger.
Also below, the course participant (Sakariya Aynashe) is big, I wanted it smaller.

Thank you.
Sakariya

by Sakariya Aynashe -
Any thoughts on the above?
May be Gareth or someone could steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.
Sakariya

by Chris Taylor -
Exact same problem for me too, I'd love to know how to fix this. On an older version (2.2.2) the course name was much bigger and the teacher name much smaller.
In reply to Chris Taylor

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Sakariya and Chris,

Why not try and work out the CSS for yourselves? And if you want to learn how to this, then consider reading my eLearningWord posts, such as: https://www.elearningworld.org/a-little-bit-of-css-part-one/ (free) and having a go at the MoodleBites Tech prep course, also free: https://www.moodlebites.com/enrol/index.php?id=228. Both sites are run by HRDNZ, a Moodle Partner.

Gareth

by Sakariya Aynashe -
Thanks Gareth for the directions. I was able to locate and fix the above CSS myself.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Nice.

Would be better to explain how exactly you did it, because it can help other people.

Séverin
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Sakariya Aynashe -
I navigated to moodle/theme/adaptable/style/course.css
and then under:
.coursebox > .info > .coursename a {
font-size: 24
(original 14)

I changed the font-size from 14 to 24 and that fixed for me.

-Sakariya

by DaVinci Menno -

Hi Gareth,

We have noticed some issues with how Adaptable 3.0.2 displays certain elements on the page. 
We are testing this Adaptable version on our test-server that runs on Moodle 3.9.2 and have found that:

• the breadcrumb breaks
  • text in the footer is being displayed in the body of the page. 

See the screenshot below and the attachment for more information.
Could you please explain how I could fix these errors?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Menno

Attachment Text not displaying correctly.png
In reply to DaVinci Menno

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Menno,

I've not seen that sort of thing before. Clearly the site has been customised. What custom CSS do you have? And there would not be a list of courses on the plugins overview screen so I don't know what's going on with the screen shot.

G

by DaVinci Menno -
Thanks Gareth, the custom CSS was indeed the cause of the problem.
This code seems to have caused the problem:
".que .info {
float: none;
width: auto;
}
.que .info > div {
margin-left: 10px;
margin-right: 10px;
}
.que .info > div {
display: inline;
}
.que .content {
margin: 0 0 0 0;
width: auto;
}"

I removed this from our theme settings, which seems to have resolved the issue.
Once again, thank you!

by Chris Taylor -
Hi,
I have downloaded version 3.02 on Moodle 3.9. the course links in each category appear very small. Is there a way of making them bigger, or using thumbnails? 

They used to look much bigger, like this on version 2.2.2, Moodle 3.8

Thanks

Chris
In reply to Chris Taylor

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think all you need to do is hold down your keyboard Ctrl key, and the scroll your middle mouse wheel to change the size.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Gareth J Barnard -
That changes the zoom on the whole page not just the elements being asked for.

by DaVinci Menno -
Hi Gareth,
is Adaptable 3.0.0 going to support the plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_edusupport ?
It works on the Boost theme, would be great if Adaptable supports this as well.

Kind regards,

Menno
In reply to DaVinci Menno

by Gareth J Barnard -
Hi Menno,

If I'm paid to support it then I will.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Sakariya Aynashe -
Hi Gareth,
Using moodle 3.9.2 and adaptable 3.0.2
Would you mind pointing in the direction of which CSS file that I should make changes to in order to have my courses surrounded by a border, as in the screenshot below. I couldn't seem to locate.

Thank you in advance.
Sakariya

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Sakariya,

What do the browser development tools (F12) tell you?  Then put the CSS you've worked out in the custom CSS setting.

G

by James Farrell -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for maintaining the adaptable. I have just installed the latest version of moodle 3.92 on a test server along with adaptable 3.0.2. But I have noticed that the adaptable theme has an empty space margin between the header menu and the course categories. Refer to my image attached below for reference. Do you think there is a way to get rid of that empty space taking unnecessary big junk of space.

Even if I add a frontpage slider, still that big space exists.

Thank you.

In reply to James Farrell

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear James,

I'm currently working on version 3.0.3 (unreleased) which has come a long way since 3.0.2 so difficult (time consuming) for me to get back and replicate. Therefore please use the browser developer tools (F12) to work out what's going on.

G

by James Farrell -
Thank you Gareth, I will try to use the developer tools to trace it.
By the way, will version 3.0.3 address the above issue in case I end up trying it once it is released?

James

by James Farrell -

Hi Gareth,

Sorry to bother you. I have checked the developer tools for the above, and while I get the below html corresponding to the space that I want to get-rid of, I couldn't locate it in any of the css files in the moodle/theme/adaptable/style/ directory.

-James

In reply to James Farrell

by Gareth J Barnard -
Patch your code with: https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable/-/commit/e2f17043637a397b1e4ac37bcc210f6058ba0ed3 and then empty the 'infobox' and 'infobox2' Adaptable settings.

by James Farrell -
Hi Gareth,
That worked and fixed my issue. Thank you so much for taking your time on this.

-James

by Paul Vitagliano -

Possible Moodle 3.10+ (Build: 20201113) issues with Adaptable:

Picture 1: 1. Icons stacked instead of next to each other

Picture 2: Error when opening a PDF assignment for annotation

Picture 3: Assignment PDF Annotation Stamp selection problem

Picture 4: Search Forums box out of alignment

by Franck Pouffet -
Hello

I get an error message saying that a file does not exist at the time of connection :

"The requested file has not been found More information about this error"

(it doesn't block anything, you just have to keep going.... but it's ugly anyway).
And when I look at the url I get this:

moodle/draftfile.php/5/user/draft/744283478/Pub%20Campus%20pub%202.png

How can I change or delete this please?

Thanks for the help

franck

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Franck,

This is the same / very similar to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=415243 - borderline 'duplicate post' which I'm tempted to remove (moderator's hat on). Ok, I'm still none the wiser, please see my reply on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=415243.

G

by Franck Pouffet -
Hello

sorry.

I didn't see your answer on the other post.

I answered in the right order now

Thanks for the help

franck

by Alfred Williams -

Hi Gareth,

I would first like to thank you for managing this great theme.

I am using Moodle 3.9.3 and adaptable 3.0.2 version

I am having two issues after installing adaptable 3.0.2

1. My menus and submenu all open at once (I have actually incorporated the patches you posted on the above thread (shown below for your reference, but that didn't help):
My second issue is that the course category names are way too small while the Teacher name underneath it are much bigger (normally it is on the reverse).

Would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you in advance,

A. Williams

In reply to Alfred Williams

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Alfred,

I don't know why the patches did not work, but I'm also not sure why you applied the setting one. I can't say why it does not work as you've modified the code that I cannot see, so I could not tell if you or I have made a mistake. On a test server, please install 'master' from https://gitlab.com/jezhops/moodle-theme_adaptable which will be 3.0.3 and say if that solves the problem. If not, then clearly there is another issue I'm not aware of and I'll then need more information from you on how to replicate.

Gareth

by Alfred Williams -
Hi Gareth,
I am currently using Moodle 3.9 with the amazing adaptable 3.0.2.
I am trying to add formatting to the course summary box such as font colors - (see below screenshot) . Unfortunately, I don't see any font color options except the two below which I don't know how they got selected by the theme.

Below is how these colors appear once saved.

Secondly, is there a way to change the font size of the file names that are uploaded as resources.

Thank you in advance,
A. Williams
In reply to Alfred Williams

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Alfred,

I think you can add styles with colours etc. via the core editor options / setup - I forget exactly where. Or you could use the editors HTML mode and use CSS instead. With your second question, custom CSS should do it, use the browser development tools (F12) to see if there is a specific CSS class that you can target / 'select'.

Gareth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Alfred - you may want to look at the Atto plugins "More colours" and "Styles", if you want to do this from editor tools. Otherwise Gareth's suggestion of editing the HTML and CSS is an option.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Alfred Williams -
Thank you Gareth and Richard.
I will try your suggestions.

by Paul Vitagliano -
Gareth - I understand you are going to be monetizing this theme. We are in the USA - what price are we looking at to go to the paid version?

by Richard Oelmann -
The theme isn't monetised and there is no separate paid version.
What Gareth has said is that the work required to provide a 3.10 version would get done (quicker) if it was sponsored to allow him to dedicate the time to it.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Paul,

Further to what Richard has stated. I'm not monetising the theme. All I'm asking is for my time to be funded for the work required to produce a version that others need but I don't. If that situation changes, the clearly I'll work to produce a version for a given version of Moodle. Pragmatically, like almost happened with the Essential theme, I'd be opening myself up for lots of online abuse if I even attempted to monetise a theme that was once 'free' - i.e. make the whole theme 'paid for' or even 'parts of'. There is a whole backstory behind the current situation with Adaptable that I know, but it would be wrong and unprofessional of me to make that public for the reasons of client confidentiality, I hope you can understand and respect this.

My other plugins of Foundation theme, Collapsed Topics course format, Grid format course format, Theme selector block and SynHi filter will continue to be updated. This is because I use them to keep my skills and knowledge up to date. With Foundation, Collapsed Topics and SynHi, they are my 'babies' so like I imagine all parents are, I'm reluctant to give them up.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Paul Vitagliano -
Understood. In the meantime we have an Adaptable theme that has issues with Moodle 3.10.1. I have posted my screenshots in this forum. Will these be addressed (funding or no funding), or is this theme going to be allowed to decay?

I don't mean to be abrupt, but the reality is that our school depends on this theme working properly. I don't think I need to tell you the ramifications of our having to change a theme mid-flight because it is not being supported.

So, will you support and fix these issues without funding, or do I have to prepare to switch to a built in Moodle theme? Let me know.

Would hate to lose this theme, as it really is a wonderful one.

Paul

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Paul,

The theme is not being allowed to 'decay', in fact it is alive and well in Moodle 3.9 and 3.8.  It is even more healthier, efficient, fitter and more advanced since I've taken over.

No, I will not support and fix these issues without funding - pertaining to Moodle 3.10 and Adaptable (as it currently stands at the time of posting).  As you can see from the other posts, I am already doing so for the Moodle 3.8 and 3.9 versions.  In this case, I will not work for free in a commercial situation.  I already contribute so much already.

Are you actually using the theme on M3.10 in a live running situation?

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Paul Vitagliano -
On our TEST environment. I need to move to 3.10 - but with this theme, I can't. Thank goodness, I have a php expert solving some of the bugs, but others remain.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Paul,

Fair enough.  I do sense though that you're getting angry with me for not doing this for free?  Is this the case?

Ok, some perspectives on my decision.  Over ten years ago I gave up my teaching job (because the hours and workload were killing me) and did an MSc for a year to reskill myself and surpass my BSc.  This I funded out of my savings and with fees, living and paying my mortgage cost me a substantial amount of money out of my life's savings.  I learnt some PHP on the course, and combined with the other skills of research and so forth, provided me with a greater ability to learn new things.  Hence the skills I have gained over many years in Moodle theme development along with other aspects.  I have to think of my own future and survival, I can't go on doing everything for nothing, I have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  Adaptable is complex and Moodle theme development is not what you'd call 'simple'.  So please don't be annoyed just because I say 'no'.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Paul Vitagliano -
Gareth - I am not in the business of "getting angry" or annoyed. Let's keep emotions out of this, if OK with you. I am all about business.

All I needed was an answer on whether or not the theme would be supported without money. Your answer was no. Now I can proceed with other options.

See - nice and easy!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In these forums, I don't think one is supposed to discuss fees. But you might want to "personal message" Gareth to see what he needs, if you haven't done so yet, so that you can compare "his cost" to the cost of your other options.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Franck Pouffet -
Hello Gareth

Following the exchanges on the forum, I come back to you to define your financial needs my activity being incipient with moodle (less than 6 months that I am in small "profitability") it is necessary that I can define if the cost is "playable" for me.

Thank you very much
Kind regards
f.pouffet@cuisine-virtuelle.com
Franck

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Franck,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you're saying?

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I think that this kind of situation is where it would be very useful if we could easily set up a funding option - I am sure that there are a lot of people that have moved to 3.10 and need adaptable fixed and if they could all contribute a little, Gareth would be able to get the funding needed and everyone will get the theme updated. Without trying to monetize the forums, there are times when a developer needs some financial help to get things done...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -
Emma, I was thinking this way, too.

I don't know what it takes to create a website, or web page, for people to make donations.

It might be interesting someday to have a "donate" button next to every plugin. Then for some plugins, perhaps Adaptable, the author could set a "minimum requirement." Something like that! Don't know.

Yes, I do see that whenever I download a new version of Moodle, I am given the option to donate.  Maybe something like this can be done for plugins.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Franck Pouffet -
"have a "Donate" button next to it" with a "minimum requirement".

Yes it's a good idea Rick

good day
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
And I would stipulate that 10% goes to HQ - they would much more likely to support this idea that way!!  Plus it would be a good way to support Moodle.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This seems a very nice idea. Using a plugin to find a few months later that has been abandoned, or out of date is always stressful. Maybe this could prevent this to happen more often.

Would be a way to also to fund HQ, specially having in mind some ideas of a plugin service in the future.
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Richard Oelmann -
Just raising the huge difference in expectation between a funding contribution for a specific feature in a 3rd party plugin created by an independent member of the community and an ongoing commitment to maintain that plugin against all future versions of Moodle...

I believe HQ already have plans for the plugins database and how it operates from Moodle 4 onwards.

by Rick Jerz -
I understand what Hugo is saying. I am not the expert, but it seems to me that the definition of a plugin is "something that is free, and can be abandoned at any time." The rule seems to be "pick your plugins carefully." Yes, if using any plugin, one hopes that it gets updated as Moodle gets updated. But Adaptable , as Gareth mentioned, still works for many whose Moodles are not at 3.10. There are many folks who run pre-3.10 Moodles, so I wouldn't want to see Adaptable removed.

Richard, many years ago I had wondered why some of these great plugins were not part of core. But I have come to appreciate the Moodle "universe," which has a software product that can be (somewhat) easily improved by anyone in the world. And I can appreciate that the core Moodle cannot contain, and maintain, every plugin. So I live with my Moodle that has only a few plugins, and I keep my fingers crossed.

I am not debating anything Hugo or Richard have said. I agree. But I also understand the overall situation. I am also very thankful for all the hard work that Gareth and others have put into their plugins. When a "donate" but shows itself for "collapsed topics" I will be one of the first to donate. (Gareth, don't expect $M U.S., just a little something.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Thanks everybody for your replies.

With my moderators hat on, this has started to go off topic, so I'm going to lock it until I get advice.

by Franck Pouffet -
Gareth

How much do you estimate your work for the Adaptable update (€)?
You can answer me on f.pouffet@cuisine-virtuelle.com

I also share Emma's comment

Kind regards