One-way configuration synchronization between production and development servers

Re: One-way configuration synchronization between production and development servers

by Mark Johnson -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There exists in moodle the cfg.php script which can get and set config values, and the replace.php script which can do a whole-database find and replace. However, these have limitations, so I ended up writing a new CLI script to which you pass a JSON file that defines a set of config changes to make. You can either define absolute values to set, or find/replace operations for each setting. Unfortunately, I don't think it's generic enough for me to share publicly right now.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: One-way configuration synchronization between production and development servers

by Eric Phetteplace -
Interesting, I can see how that would work, you're using `php admin/cli/cfg.php --json` to get the JSON configuration object and then overriding certain properties? This seems better than a bunch of CLI processing and sed edits. I will look into it!
In reply to Eric Phetteplace

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not quite, we have a per-environment JSON file that looks something like this:

{
    "config_values": [
        {"name": "debug", "value": "32767"},
    ],
    "config_plugin_values": [
        {"plugin": "auth_saml2", "name": "logdir", "value": "/var/log/saml2/", "wherenot": ""},
    ],
    "config_value_replacements": [
        {"name": "example", "find": "Live", "replace": "Test"},
    ]
}

The script then uses each of those values or find/replace lines to construct a query that updates the config value in the database. If it includes a property like "wherenot" "wherelike" etc then the update is conditional based on the current value.