Using Google Repository with Control Access Links with Drafts

Using Google Repository with Control Access Links with Drafts

by Richard Schwarz -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all,

We're a google school and we've got a Moodle set up with the Google Drive Repository, mainly with Access Control Links (so that kids can submit large files and keep using Gdocs). 

We've come across a problem - and I'm not sure if it's the expected way for the repository to work:

Students 'upload' a google doc to an assignment (using the GDrive repository). 

Teacher is given edit rights to the document (working as I expect).

Teacher makes comments etc in the document (as expected).

Teacher wants to return the document (draft) to the student with the comments... < This is where the problem occurs. It would appear that the teacher cannot share the document back to the student with 'edit' rights... which is what is required for drafting. Further... when shared back to the student, they can't see the comments. These only become available if someone logs in with the system's google account and provides the student 'edit' rights. Am I missing something here, or is this the expected behaviour?

We have Google Classroom running in the primary school, but much prefer moodle in Seconday (years 7 to 12). In Classroom, the teacher 'Returns' the document to the student which in essence provides the student with edit rights again, and makes a copy (including comments etc) and puts that in the file space for safe-keeping. This was the kind of behaviour I expected in the Moodle GDrive repository.

If we can't share back, I think I'll have to disable the GDrive repository and tell teachers to use Google Assignments for all assignment work (and link to it).

Thanks,

Richard.

Average of ratings: -