Automated backup straight to other server?

Re: Automated backups, uploaded one by one to another server.

by Nikolaas Dries -
Number of replies: 0

I completely agree with the change of topic title.

Maybe for those interested in this topic.

Why do I choose to do it this way?

I am quite happy with my hosting company. But ... they do two things that caught up on me when my Moodle started growing very fast during lockdown:

- They do a full site backup which is stored on my own webspace. So my 160gb is really just 80gb. If you also do a course backup, that is also backed up in the full site backup. For those of you keeping track, that means each course is saved 4 times on the server. But not with a retention of 4 days.

- They do not offer extra storage without upgrading all the hardware. Memory and processor are not a problem at this point in time. During these times of increased 'distance learning' I'm not inclined to take the site down for a move to another server.

So, after some searching I found a host that provides me with 100gb storage and unlimited traffic. Don't even know the rest of the hardware. Connection is pretty fast as well.

+ It is cheaper as the next upgrade on my main host.

+ Backups are not on same server as original. I really should also copy the database there as well.

- It is not straight to other server. So you will need some space for one course to be saved briefly. As far as I can see, if this were possible in automated back-ups, Moodle itself would also need to park the compressed backup file somewhere before copying it.