Adaptable — Cloning Recipe

Adaptable — Cloning Recipe

by Eric Taylor -
Number of replies: 0

This may be obvious, but it took me a couple tries to get it right because there's quite a few moving parts in the Adaptable theme, so I'm going to write it down for anyone else that may need it at some point down the road. These instructions will be Mac-centric, but should be basically the same on Windows too. NOTE: This assumes you have direct access to your Moodle server. If you're access it via CPanel or something like that, I'm not sure how to implement this, except possibly to carry out the steps locally, zip the new theme folder up and use the plug-in install option to try and install it.

• Get a Text Editor that can search entire directories, such as Atom.
  • In the moodle/theme folder, right-click on the adaptable theme and Duplicate it.
  • Rename it whatever you're going to name your new theme. NOTE: It is highly recommended you use a name totally unrelated to adaptable, as this is where I kept screwing up the first few times. For our purposes, I'm going to just call the new theme "test".
  • Launch Atom and drag the newly named theme folder into the Projects sidebar.
  • Right-click on the project name and choose Search in Folder.
    • Make sure you have Case Sensitivity enabled in the options in the upper right area of the search dialog.
    • Search for "adaptable" and replace it with "test" everywhere in the project.
    • Search for "Adaptable" and replace it with "Test" everywhere in the project
    • Search for "ADAPTABLE" and replace it with "TEST" everywhere in the project
  • Now, in the Finder, select the new folder (moodle/theme/test) and search for files containing the word "adaptable".
    • Select all the found files (should be something like 5 or 6).
    • Right-click on them and choose the Rename option (it will actually be called something like Rename 6 Items but I forget exactly how many items there are). NOTE: Windows users, you can just manually rename each file from "adaptable" to "test" as necessary at this point.
    • In the Rename dialog, choose to Replace Text from the popup menu and replace "adaptable" with "test".
  • Finally, in your web browser go to your Moodle home page and reload it if necessary. Moodle should tell you it needs to install a new plugin and walk through the process as normal from there.
  • Once you're done, you should see a new Theme called Test with all the Adaptable options in it, but attached to the Test theme instead.
Hope this helps others!

Average of ratings: -