Moodle Docker on a large AWS cluster - help appreciated

Moodle Docker on a large AWS cluster - help appreciated

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 4

So I'm the Director of a micro non-profit arts-education project.

We are lucky enough to have several AWS Devops and Architect certified volunteers helping us get the site moved to an AWS Docker so that many more young kids can get access. For the techies its going onto a pretty large multi-server doohicky called an AWS Moodle cluster Docker in an 5.4xlarge or similar. The problem isnt therefore with AWS but Moodle-on-AWS.

They're running into a few problems (wont detail them here to avoid a long post -but will post the problem and the solution once we have a Moodler willing to take a look) but I was hoping someone reading this that is a Moodle-AWS veteran MIGHT be willing to offer some offline advice to get us over the hurdle (and allow 20,000 kids to get moodling!!)

Hope you can help. Either DM me - or ideally say hi here 

..removed..

As I say -  I will be keen to post the whole problem/solution here for the benefit of others and the always fabulous Moodlers community. (Im sure there will be some complaints about doing things that way, but you cant please everyone!)

Dom

(Edited by Howard Miller to remove external link - original submission Thursday, 16 January 2020, 12:57 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: Moodle Docker on a large AWS cluster - help appreciated

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
With my moderator hat firmly in place...

I don't want to be "that guy" but the point/benefit of these forums is to work through these things to the benefit of all. The details are often the interesting bit.

If you're looking for, for whatever reason,  some sort of consultant (even on a voluntary basis) then I would suggest the Moodle jobs page.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Dom F -
Apologies in advance here Howard but ......
No we're looking for some advice, and hav9ing gone on record about posting the problem (and I dont even know it myself - Im not the tech - and THEN posting back with the solution - **all** the boxes are ticked - but clearly not enough.

the jobs board is I afraid a "lovely idea in principle" but next time you post for a volunteer there howard (and trust me weve been there, and got the t-shirt" be prepared for an endess stream of Indian companies ignoring the word VOLUNTEER" - sadly - the reality is that we have never ever managed to secure a volunteer even for such a short portion of advice like this - on the jobs board.

So given the dead end of the jobs board - if you'd like to suggest where we should post this request for an unfunded, micro-non profit trying to make a different to a helluvah lot of 16-20s - so let me know

In the meantime  "long sigh"

P.S. We have been posting on Reach Volunteering here in the UK for 7 months without a single response - dont know why - but its a Moodle thing. And if you think I'm being gloomy, consider this. If you search the world wide web google home page for "moodle pro bono" the first result is me... posting for help.... 
years ago... Enough said. (Sadly)

P.P.S. external links edited out? So...is that a new thing?? Because?
In reply to Dom F

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I won't go into the boring details but if I did work for all the charities that have asked me to do work for free (or for some substantial discount)... and they are *all* in their own ways perfectly good causes. As a consultant or a developer your "hours" are all you have.

So while I sympathise, I also understand (from the other side) why you probably are getting absolutely nowhere. 

The point - to my mind - of these forums is for people to request help and (where possible) for that to be discussed and provided. To the benefit of all. Not so much to trade solutions for "private" help. 

I can only reiterate, that we'll try to help you in these forums. If you don't want to go down that road then it's entirely up to you (even if I really don't understand why you don't want to). But... please... no advertising for pro bono consultancy in the help forums. 

In summary... tell us what your problem is. You might actually get some help. Although you'll need to start by explaining why you think Docker is a good idea (I rarely think it's a good idea)