Grade calculation based on sessions taken and not total sessions

Re: Grade calculation based on sessions taken and not total sessions

by Matt Rice -
Number of replies: 2

In my experience, the way the Attendance module determines a grade is not what I would have expected:  I would expect a user not marked present for a session to be assumed absent from that session, while the Attendance module appears to completely exclude from calculation sessions where the user has not been marked (either as attending or not attending).

Using your example, my guess is the Attendance module reports 12 points for User1 \( 12 * \frac{2}{2} = 12  \) and 6 points for User2 \( 12 * \frac{1}{2} = 6 \).

This gets even more confusing when a given user is not marked (present/absent) in a given session: to continue your example, in session #3, if User1 is marked as present but User2 is not marked at all, the Attendance module will likely report 12 points for User1 \( 12 * \frac{3}{3} = 12 \) and 6 points for User2 \( 12 * \frac{1}{2} = 6 \).

I hope that helps, and good luck!

In reply to Matt Rice

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As a Teacher, you can have Moodle automatically mark students as absent after a session is over. As an Administrator, you can set this as the default behaviour in the Attendance plugin Settings, so perhaps your administrator hasn't done this for you.

As a Teacher, begin by checking the "Status set" and identifying the default status (see screenshot 1 below: status "Absent" is probably what you want. Then, when adding a new session, expand the Student recording tab and select "Set unmarked at end of session" in the "Automatic marking" field (see screenshot 2 below). This tells Moodle to set the status for any students who haven't registered their status to whatever the default status is. Moodle runs a periodic batch job to set the attendance status. 

If your session is 60 minutes long, Moodle will wait until after that before setting the status. I think you can also specify that students must record their status in say 30 minutes, even if the session is 60 minutes, so I presume Moodle would set the status after 30 minutes in that case.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Miriam Benedict -

But the issue here is, as mentioned before, supposedly there are four alternative sessions in a week, for two hours each. and iv set the present status as 2 and set the maximum grade as 6. Now when the user clicks on the first session and marks him as present, the system automatically allocates him 6 points. I do not want this, i want a segregated point system for every session. If the first session is marked present the student should achieve only 2 points and not 6.