Aardvark development ceased

Aardvark development ceased

by Shaun Daubney -
Number of replies: 1

The Aardvark project started in 2008 after a focus group with students led the development of our somewhat basic and neglected installation of Moodle into a (at the time) modern and engaging platform. The idea was to drive student use by creating a colourful, MySpace-inspired, student intranet as the front-end, with the functionality of a VLE behind it. Pressure from those students would then ultimately drive adoption by tutors.

Timeline of Aardvark's development

Over the years, Aardvark has been an exciting and arguably inspiring project, started at Newbury College, but benefiting from the contributions and expertise of many other developers. It was the first open-source Moodle theme to include a drop-down navigation menu, a concept that would eventually become a core element of Moodle theme engine, and at its peak was installed on over 5,000 Moodle installations around the world.

Development of Aardvark slowed down a few years ago as many of its advantages were adopted as features in the core theme engine of Moodle and a lack of development time meant that I was no longer able to keep up with the changes required to make the theme compatible with the latest releases. Unfortunately I have had to make the decision to cease development of Aardvark to focus on other commitments.

Aardvark has been an incredible project to work on, and I have learnt a huge amount about PHP and CSS along the way and I would like to thank everyone who has contacted me over the years with their kind comments. Special thanks to Mary L Evans, Patrick Malley and all of the other contributors and supporters who have been part of this journey.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: Aardvark development ceased

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Oh Shaun, this made me cry to here that Aardvark development has ceased.
Ah...it was such fun back then, and now things are not as exiting as those times were for me. is it really 10+ years ago? My how time passes.

Thank you for giving us AARDVARK it was a joy to help out whenever I could. We were all learning back then, even Moodle Developers were being pestered by us to get various problems sorted, especially when moving Blocks into new regions like the dropdown header you created. LOL...what fun that was!!!

I'm so glad I saw this post this evening.
KEEP IN TOUCH

God bless
MARY