BigBlueButton has Breakout Rooms Now - Thank you

BigBlueButton has Breakout Rooms Now - Thank you

by Doug Strable -
Number of replies: 5

Hello

I just discovered that the BigBlueButton activity in MoodleCloud now has break out rooms. Fantastic!

Thank you very much for including breakout rooms now in MoodleCloud. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Strable

Re: BigBlueButton has Breakout Rooms Now - Thank you

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

How many private rooms can you have ? On a free basic plan, I have 8 provates room max. How many on a School plan?

In reply to François Lizotte

by Doug Strable -

Hello Francois, 

Same for me in my School plan. The maximum number of breakout rooms I can choose is 8 rooms. 

In reply to François Lizotte

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Bonjour François,

The limit is not set by MoodleCloud, it's a BigBlueButton default and is hardcoded to 8: https://support.blindsidenetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024516512-Create-and-manage-breakout-rooms

I am not aware of the reasons of this limit or if there are any plans to change that eventually.

Mathieu
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Doug Strable -

Hello Mathieu, 

Great link, thank you.  I found a similar question on the BigBlueButton saying while the number of rooms are set at 8, there is not a limit on the number of users. 

--> There's a cap of 8 breakout rooms in a meeting. The user cap is more fluid. There are no hardcoded user limits in BigBlueButton so the biggest factor is server specs and then client bottlenecks. For the current HTML5 client build I would recommend not going over 100 users in a meeting and to reach those numbers requires a server that is beyond the minimum specs in the documentation. We're trying to raise the number of users that the client can sustain, but it's an ongoing process.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/bigbluebutton-users/6hjfvfWNAsY/fwnu_CeNCAAJ

In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Merci mon cher!

And I understand that this limit is not only for MoodleCloud users, but for all Blindside Networks users, since you are pointing towards their general documentation. Good to know.

François
Average of ratings: Useful (1)