Custom certificate plugin Emails - who do they come from?

Custom certificate plugin Emails - who do they come from?

by Emma Cripps -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,

We are currently using the Custom certificate plugin on Moodle 3.5.3. 

My question relates to the email that is sent out to the students (in the settings, the option for "Email students" is set to "Yes".

I have noticed that the email student's receive from the custom certificate has a name in the "from" field in the email, but this name changes - seemingly randomly. There are three people enrolled on the Moodle site as "Lecturer" and it seems to randomly come from one of these three people. The email address the email is sent from is constant, but the name shown in the "from" field changes.

Can anyone let me know if the "from" field in the email is based on a role within the Moodle site where the Custom certificate is set up, or if there is a way to define whose name appears in the "From" field in the emails?

Thank you,

Emma

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Cripps

Re: Custom certificate plugin Emails - who do they come from?

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

Currently it simply chooses someone with the capability to update the course ('moodle/course:update') which seems completely random to me. An issue has been created (see https://github.com/markn86/moodle-mod_customcert/issues/165) where this will be fixed once I can assign some time to it.

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Emma Cripps -

Thanks Mark, that's really helpful to know.

Emma

In reply to Emma Cripps

by Melanie Scott -

Do you have groups with the lecturer's assigned to one? My understanding is that the email is sent by the person with a teacher (lecturer) role with the lowest ID number.  If they are in groups, maybe it sends out from the lecturer assigned to that particular group?

I will add...I could be completely wrong about that but it makes sense to me...

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The code can be seen at https://github.com/markn86/moodle-mod_customcert/blob/MOODLE_36_STABLE/classes/task/email_certificate_task.php#L77.

Basically it gets all the users enrolled with the capability 'moodle/course:update', sorts them by authority, then grabs the first person. It is not the best logic and will be changed in the issue I listed above.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Vladimir Miranovic -

We are using groups in our Moodle in all courses, and we need exactly that - email to be sent to Facilitator for that group.

Unfortunately Custom certificate is not working that way, and we need to create separate activity "Custom certificate" for every group that we have in every course, and most of the times we are creating 20 - 30 certificates in one course restricted by group.

Another bad thing is that our Facilitators doesn't have ability  'moodle/course:update' and that makes them invisible for the plugin, that ability belongs to Instructional Designer team. Much better solution in that case will be person who has ability to grade assignments, because in every case people who are Teachers or Facilitators have ability to give a grade, and that will make them visible within the group as person who should be receiving emails.

I hope that will be implemented soon.

Just to add at the end, this plugin is great and we are using it in all our courses.