Moodle plugin - web conferencing

Moodle plugin - web conferencing

av Keenan Simpson -
Antal svar: 7

Good day,

Please assist as i tried various plugins for moodle web conferencing but not successful.

The openmeeting (interface is not user friendly), bigbluebutton (complicated setup) didn't get it right as it depends on alot of libraries.

There is less available plugins for moodle version 3.5

The other alternative would be to integrate youtube channels but is only available for moodle v2.

Highly appreciate your assistance in this regards - maybe other open source plugins i can use would be helpful.

Regards,

Keenan

Genomsnitt av betyg: -
Som svar till Keenan Simpson

Re: Moodle plugin - web conferencing

av David Mudrák -
Bild på Core developers Bild på Documentation writers Bild på Moodle HQ Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Peer reviewers Bild på Plugin developers Bild på Plugins guardians Bild på Testers Bild på Translators

Maybe it would help to start with writing down your actual requirements. I am a bit confused how YouTube channels are an alternative for a web conferencing. Also, what do you mean by "only available for moodle v2"?

Som svar till David Mudrák

av Keenan Simpson -

The actual requirements is as follows for web conferencing/webinars moodle plugin:

Features to be included - Live video recording, Chat option for attendees, screen sharing, Polling / votes etc... (should look like the below)

We got a youtube channel where we can do live webinars and it saves on youtube directly, wanted to know if it can be integrated into moodle by developing a new plugin. 

I refer to "only available for moodle v2" as when you search for webinars plugins for moodle, only two plugins appear for moodle v3+. The rest of the plugins is available for moodle v2 and less.

See below.

If possible can you help with a webinar plugin i may use. Hope this information helps

av Marcus Green -
Bild på Core developers Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Plugin developers Bild på Testers

"The openmeeting (interface is not user friendly), bigbluebutton (complicated setup) didn't get it right as it depends on alot of libraries."

Self hosted audio/video is one of the most complex things you can do and demands significant resources. Even if you get it right on your end there is frequently a problem with connectivity with clients.  This is why although Skype is excellent, it is nowhere near as reliable as a phone call.

If I wanted wanted web-conferencing integrated into Moodle I would pay the people at Bigblue button to do their Magic, because they have the best integration with Moodle of any similar tool. Disclaimer, I have met the people from BigBlue button several times and was impressed with them, so I am biased.

av Mark Whitington -

Hi Keenan,

Perhaps Appear.in may be of interest... it is not a Moodle plugin.

Other than a user I have no association with it.

A free version is available along with paid versions.

Have a look at https://appear.in/

av Hartmut Scherer -
Have you tried Zoom?
Som svar till Hartmut Scherer

av Melanie Scott -

I'd second this.  Zoom is pretty inexpensive (free if you only need sessions of 60 minutes or less) and has a Moodle plugin (need to investigate this, just saw it last week). 

If you have a Pro Zoom account, you can record your sessions to the cloud and it will transcript them.  It has probably 85%-90% accuracy--a bit less if you use a lot of acronyms or jargon, but still quite good.

I used to use WizIQ--also a Moodle integration--but it does cost $$, though it is pretty inexpensive overall.  Decent product.  Only downside is, you have to download their desktop app if you plan to share screen at all and it does a very bad job with dual screens. The app is pretty good, though.  They can do breakout groups and most of the high level video conference stuff you usually only get with Adobe Connect or WebEx, if that's attractive.  The company was pretty good--but support is interesting; they frequently ask for credentials to access your network to troubleshoot (which was a BIG problem for me, since I work in government and that's a huge no-no).

Also--BigBlueButton is worth it if you can get it going right.  Pukunui used to use it for their 56/72 hour iMoot (may still do, I just haven't participated in a long time) and it was really terrific.  I'd second getting them to host it...that stuff is tricky. It would be worth the cost (which I've heard is quite reasonable) just to not have to twist your brain in a knot trying to figure it out.