Cloning a theme

Cloning a theme

by Margaret Richard -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I'm using Moodle 3.5.1 with Adaptable 1.7.3. 

I'd like to create a fun holiday version of our theme, changing some of the colors to red & green, etc., then change back after the holidays. My approach was to copy my existing theme into a new folder 'adaptholiday' and search replace all 'adaptable' with 'adaptholiday' in all the PHP files. I changed the ones in the adaptholiday root as well as \lang\en\theme_adaptholiday.php.

Nothing I've done has made the new theme available on the Theme Selector. I've cleared the cache and tried to follow this topic: Issues Creating New Theme, but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Richard

Re: Cloning a theme

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In Adaptable you can use the Import/Export settings feature to save your settings, then change to a new design, and import the old one again.

You don't need to clone anything.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Margaret Richard -

Coming back around again with a slightly different use case. The import/export works for manually switching the theme for holidays, but I have a new situation where I'd like to change the theme based on who is logged in: To have multiple versions of Adaptable with subtle differences to match our customer's company colors. For example, someone from Ford logs in and they see Adaptable with blue accents, while someone from Chevy logs in and sees gold accents. (not actual customers)

I know I can force themes with cohorts, but that seems to work only for a complete theme change (i.e. Adaptable / Clean). 

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks again in advance!

by Just H -

Given it sounds like you are going to have to create child themes:

"To have multiple versions of Adaptable with subtle differences to match our customer's company colors."

Then ...

"I know I can force themes with cohorts, but that seems to work only for a complete theme change (i.e. Adaptable / Clean)."

Is exactly what you would be doing e.g. your multiple versions (child themes) will need to be named along the lines of adaptable_ford, adaptable_chevy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)