GDPR export/delete number of records per plugin

GDPR export/delete number of records per plugin

by Dorel Manolescu -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi

Is there a nice way (without modifying the core code)  to get the number of records / per plugin that are going to be exported, deleted using the GDPR functions.

I had a look in the code under /privacy folder and also here: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Privacy_API/Utilities and didn t find any function or piece of code that will help me to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dorel Manolescu

Re: GDPR export/delete number of records per plugin

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Dorel,

I'm afraid that this is not possible. At most we can inform of the number of context-components that will be exported, but since Moodle 3.6 this is calculated at time of export so is no longer possible either.

Why do you need this?

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Lyons

by Dorel Manolescu -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me. The purpose of such a feature is to do something like an audit for the user data in the system, before doing a data export and specially before doing something like the GDPR user deletion. I would like, before doing a deletion, to know what exactly I am deleting and from where (both from developer and admin point of view).

I hope this make sense.

Regards

In reply to Dorel Manolescu

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Dorel,

Then no, this is not possible. We originally implemented functionality which could theoretically allow you to see in which Moodle contexts data was held, but we found that this was problematic for several reasons (it added unnecessary delays to the process, it added more complexity, and it allowed data to get stale or more data to be added/removed after it was originally identified). In any case, this would only have identified which course/activity/block/etc. that the data was located, and not exactly what the data is.

From our understanding of the legislation, there is no need for this functionality and so we did not implement it. At this time we have no plans to implement such a feature, and the privacy API does not provide any way for such functionality to be implemented.

Best wishes,

Andrew