Trying to design courses

Trying to design courses

av Dan B. -
Antall svar: 5

So I am building an online education system to end in certification.

It consists of many course in at least two (maybe more) different "tracks' or series of video, quizzes and the like. I suspect not at all uncommon.

One thing I am not finding much info on is how to group courses into a "class", so a "class" would consist of 10, 12 or more "courses"...upon completion of the courses, they get the cert.

I have custom cert module, and it's very cool...but how do I create these "classes" consisting of a set of courses? Or, are the literally created by proxy of the completion requirements so the very last course requires all of the previous course completions, and there is no external "grouping" beyond that? Then the last course of the series end in the cert?

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Dan B.

Re: Trying to design courses

av Rick Jerz -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers

I am not sure, but I will offer an idea.

In my Moodle, I don't have "classes."  But I do divide courses into topic areas, such as Business, Engineering, Miscellaneous.

So for you, you might have "Class01," "Class02," etc. instead of my Business, Engineering, etc.  Then you could add courses within each class.  Hope this makes some sense to you, but I don't know if it resolves your need.

Som svar til Rick Jerz

av Dan B. -

Thanks for the reply. Right now I have 3 "categories" (I kinda view them as a "class", but they aren't) and in those categories I have several courses to complete the category...I would like some way to list those courses by the category to which they belong and apply custom certs to each category when they are completed.

I have only been in Moodle for about 10 days, so I might be missing something obvious, trying to get up to speed as fast as I can...

Som svar til Dan B.

av Rick Jerz -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers

Grouping your courses into categories can be done.  My "Frontpage" shows my different groups.  Your group names can be anything (mine are Business, Engineering, etc.)

The difference in what you want to do is to treat a category as a group, and give certificates for completion of all courses in a group.  I don't do this, and cannot suggest how to do this automatically within moodle.  But you could do it manually.  For example, you can restrict enrollment of a student to Group1, Course1.  Then when the student completes Course1, you can enroll them into Course2, then Course3, etc.  When they complete the last course, you can then give them their certificate.

Moodle has a certificate feature.  I haven't used it.  Others here on moodle.org have, so you should be able to get some help.

With Moodle, you have pretty good control over these groups and courses, because you are the Moodle administrator.

You could mock this up using the free MoodleCloud.

Oh, when doing this, I always start with creating the course categories first.  It makes life easier when adding courses.  

Vedlegg frontpage.png
Som svar til Rick Jerz

av Dan B. -

Great, thanks for the info. I appreciate your time.

Som svar til Dan B.

av Emma Richardson -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers

Sadly, we do not yet have a way to do this smoothly though there are new features that get us closer - learning plans for example.  However, I do not believe that you can tie a certificate to a learning plan as yet.  

Rick's suggestion is probably closest or you could just have one actual course and put your content from the different courses into sections instead.  This would make your certificates work the best and you could easily make one section conditional upon completing the previous section.