Moodle Learning Analytics Monthly Community Calls: Agenda, Recordings and Minutes

Aug 28 First Moodle Learning Analytics Community Call Agenda

Picture of Elizabeth Dalton
Aug 28 First Moodle Learning Analytics Community Call Agenda

I'm looking forward to connecting with as many of you as possible at our first Moodle Learning Analytics Working Group monthly community call! (Do we need a better name? Or an acronym? MLAWG isn't very catchy....)

Our agenda for the first meeting:

1. Introductions
  2. Call for research & development partners
  3. Webinar: Setting up the Community of Inquiry model
Feel free to propose other items in this thread!
Re: Aug 28 First Moodle Learning Analytics Community Call Agenda

Topic: Moodle Learning Analytics Working Group
Start Time : Aug 28, 2018 09:49

Meeting Recording:
https://moodle.zoom.us/recording/share/44uGGK7u-_eV3SKcfd9XXC87vZgMkA8PitY2Fk3RY_ywIumekTziMw

Minimalist minutes follow. I will try to do a better job catching names at the next meeting -- I thought Zoom would record them for me. blush
  1.     Introductions
    1.         Elizabeth Dalton - Research Analyst, Moodle HQ, working on learning analytics and developer training and
    2.         Luca Bösch - Switzerland, product owner, system administrator, assistance to lecturers
    3.         Toni Barberà - Moodle HQ developer from Barcelona office
    4.         Jeremy Schweizer, eThink Education (US Moodle Partner) Director of solutions. Getting a lot of questions about how to use analytics.
    5.         Seifedine, Lebanon, assoc prof computing, how can we inform students early about outcomes.
    6.         Sikhokele - looking for deep learning analytics, just found our working group last night
    7.         Zampier (sorry, didn't get your last name) - from Brazil
  2.     Call for research & development partners
    1.         Because of GDPR, we have no internal developer resources assigned for 3.6, looking for external and research projects. Moodle Foundation. Communicating about moodle.org working group area.
  3.     Workshop: Setting up the Community of Inquiry model - two presentations nearly complete for an online workshop for Moodle site administrators and teachers new to using Moodle Learning Analytics. Slide drafts will be posted later today.
  4.     MUA Proposal for Report Builder
    1.  This is not a Moodle User's Association meeting, but this topic was addressed at the request of a Working Group member because it affects learning analytics functionality, both in terms of descriptive analytics and as a non-PHP way to develop new models.
    2. We discussed the aim of MUA projects, plugins, third parties, etc., smaller MUA projects. Some German MUA members feel that it isn't appropriate to tackle this as a MUA project. It should be a basic feature. Successful MUA projects have usually involved more bounded enhancements or connections between existing features. On the other hand, there has been demand for this functionality for a long time and many abandoned attempts to provide it within Moodle.
Picture of Samantha Ahern

Apologies for missing this, looks like it was a great call. Will watch recording later.
Was a little busy with a software carpentry workshop.

Kind regards,

Samantha 

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Aug 2018, at 05:05, Elizabeth Dalton (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org> wrote:

by Elizabeth Dalton - Thursday, 30 August 2018, 11:34 AM

Topic: Moodle Learning Analytics Working Group
Start Time : Aug 28, 2018 09:49

Meeting Recording:
https://moodle.zoom.us/recording/share/44uGGK7u-_eV3SKcfd9XXC87vZgMkA8PitY2Fk3RY_ywIumekTziMw

Minimalist minutes follow. I will try to do a better job catching names at the next meeting -- I thought Zoom would record them for me. blush
  1.     Introductions
    1.         Elizabeth Dalton - Research Analyst, Moodle HQ, working on learning analytics and developer training and
    2.         Luca Bösch - Switzerland, product owner, system administrator, assistance to lecturers
    3.         Toni Barberà - Moodle HQ developer from Barcelona office
    4.         Jeremy Schweizer, eThink Education (US Moodle Partner) Director of solutions. Getting a lot of questions about how to use analytics.
    5.         Seifedine, Lebanon, assoc prof computing, how can we inform students early about outcomes.
    6.         Sikhokele - looking for deep learning analytics, just found our working group last night
    7.         Zampier (sorry, didn't get your last name) - from Brazil
  2.     Call for research & development partners
    1.         Because of GDPR, we have no internal developer resources assigned for 3.6, looking for external and research projects. Moodle Foundation. Communicating about moodle.org working group area.
  3.     Workshop: Setting up the Community of Inquiry model - two presentations nearly complete for an online workshop for Moodle site administrators and teachers new to using Moodle Learning Analytics. Slide drafts will be posted later today.
  4.     MUA Proposal for Report Builder
    1.  This is not a Moodle User's Association meeting, but this topic was addressed at the request of a Working Group member because it affects learning analytics functionality, both in terms of descriptive analytics and as a non-PHP way to develop new models.
    2. We discussed the aim of MUA projects, plugins, third parties, etc., smaller MUA projects. Some German MUA members feel that it isn't appropriate to tackle this as a MUA project. It should be a basic feature. Successful MUA projects have usually involved more bounded enhancements or connections between existing features. On the other hand, there has been demand for this functionality for a long time and many abandoned attempts to provide it within Moodle.

You can reply to this via email.