Working Group Roadmap Forum

Subject areas as model components

Picture of Elizabeth Dalton
Subject areas as model components

As part of my dissertation, I plan to code the courses in my data set according to what subject they cover. I have the option of using a subject prefix (e.g. "ENG203" is an English course) but if I develop a model using that subject designation as an indicator, it won't be very reusable.

So after doing some research, I've decided to adopt the UNESCO International Standard Classification of Education: Fields of Education and Training 2013 (ISCED-F 2013). You can see it here:

https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/286ebac6-aa7c-4ada-a42b-ff2cf3a442bf/ISCED-F%202013%20-%20Detailed%20field%20descriptions.pdf

I've taken this standard and implemented it as a Competency Framework in Moodle. You can get the framework here: https://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?d=12&rid=861

Next, I'll go through my course site and attach the relevant "competency" (subject code) to each course. Then I can create an indicator based on these known competencies. I've given each one a code that I think should be fairly distinct from other likely competency codes.

What this means for everyone else: once I've got the indicator working, I can publish that as a plugin and anyone who wants to add that indicator to an existing (or new) model can install it, import the competency framework, and tag courses on the site. I'll let you know if including this indicator seems to significantly improve accuracy of predictions in my data.

on the Great Wall
Re: Subject areas as model components

Elizabeth,

I am interested to see this plugin and how this works out.

Also am happy to install and document my process for you if you need another test case.

Our model of delivery is very much competency frameworks based and so  experimenting with this would be great.

I am in the process of building a few new courses and so if you need a beta tester ?

Sorry for the delayed response-- I was on holiday. Thanks for your interest! I'll post my progress here. smile
Picture of Samantha Ahern

We use Moodle as part of our blended learning, the bulk of learning being face-to-face.

The blended element varies widely. Would be could if we could build and apply multiple models dependent on how course teams are using Moodle.

Good idea! I've already requested the addition of a "% online" field in the course information. That could be an indicator in models and eventually could be used to adapt either Target or Analyser code, to restrict models by "blended" status. See MDL-59022 for more information.