Best free theme (or cheap) for version 3.4 onwards

Best free theme (or cheap) for version 3.4 onwards

by Leticia Dark-rose -
Number of replies: 21

Hi all,

We are looking to move to Moodle Version 3.4 and are currently using Elegance, however this is no longer being supported. 

I would like some feedback on a theme that is free/cheap, very customisable within the Moodle environment and will be supported over the next few versions (i.e. so i don't have to redo this task again in the next couple of years).

I have done some research, and like the look of these freebies:

• Essential
  • Adaptable
  • Academi

(read here: https://edwiser.org/blog/5-best-free-moodle-themes/

I have only looked at one paid theme (https://edwiser.org/remui/) REMUI.... however this isn't cheap in regards to our budget allowance.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Leticia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leticia Dark-rose

Re: Best free theme (or cheap) for version 3.4 onwards

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have used Adaptable - very solid support.  Essential is also well supported.  I have not used Academi.  Currently, I used Fordson which is based on the new default theme Boost which I really like and has good support.

by Jez H -

Hi Leticia,

Adaptable was updated today adding some nice features, it also has other releated plugins such as a news slider. It takes some time to set up if you want it to look nice, but gives you what you need to customise / brand it. It has been designed to work on a range of sites (large and small) so with a bit of meddling in the settings you shoudl be able to get it working well regardless of what kind of organisation you work for. For example it has features to allow you to handle very long course names or courses with lots of tutors without borking.

I would suggest you install all three themes on a test site and try to set them up with your brand / test courses etc and see how well they work for you.

In reply to Jez H

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Leticia,

Without being biased for any theme (I maintain a few!), I agree with 'Jez' in respect to installation.  Have a test server and try out themes.  If you don't have a test server, then I've found that the Bitnami stack is good and you can install on Win, OSX and Linux.

G

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'd recommend checking out Fordson - Chris is just releasing a new version with additional features and presets.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use the built-in Boost theme and then modify it with CSS.  I gave a presentation about this at last summer's MoodleMoot.  Here is my resources webpage.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All themes have their faults and are not as easily customisable as one would like, and none are guaranteed to be maintained as no one knows which way Moodle may go into the future.

Stick with the theme you like would be my advice. However, if you are going to use Moodle 3.4 then you need a theme that uses Boost as a parent theme.

All the other themes you mentioned use Bootstrapbase as parent theme. Overtime that theme will no longer be maintained.

Just plain facts.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are using Moodle 3.4 you don't need to use a theme that has Boost as a parent theme!  Just because Bootstrapbase 'might' go away in a future version of Moodle it does not mean that:

• It is missing in M3.4.
  • Contributed themes won't update to using Moodle's version of Bootstrap version 4 at some point in the future.

So not facts but opinion.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ankita Sharma -

Thank you Gareth. Yes you are right there are self parent theme for Moodle 3.4.

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What might be better than looking for the "best" theme, is picking the theme that aligns with your goals as an organization and how you want to implement your LMS.  

Generally there are a few key things you need/want when implementing a LMS.  For instance, you might want all the features and tweaks you could ever imagine.  Maybe you want simple, clean, and efficient.  Maybe you need the LMS to sell courses or provide marketing.  Each theme will have it's strengths and weaknesses.

The "Best" theme for you hasn't been defined in your post.  Most themes are customizable.  Most of the more popular ones are updated regularly and you can peek into the version history to see the frequency of updates.   

Our goal in designing Fordson was to do a few things to speed up the process from login to engaged in learning.  We don't automate enrollments like a college would.  Each course used to use Self Enrollment, however, you still had to find the course and then enter an enrollment password or click the enroll button.  We found this to be a chore with almost 2000 courses and users from age 5yrs to 18yrs, so we developed an enrollment plugin that functions just like Google Classroom codes and can even use QR Codes to enroll a student directly from the site homepage.

Fordson's site home is designed to help the student enroll, find a course, view their dashboard, engage with learning.  We look at the site home as the "traffic cop" trying to direct the user.  We have a large customizable icon navigation bar which can take the user to any number of locations such as Dashboard, calendars, etc.  When using the Easy Enrollment plugin the homepage displays a large enrollment form where the student puts in the code and is instantly enrolled.  There is also the ability to put text, marketing tiles, a slider, and other useful tools.  

Once in a course we created a Course Management panel that displays all the needed links for a teacher to manage their course.  All laid out and organized in a way that makes sense.  As has been mentioned the version we are working on will have awesome new features that consolidates all the navigation into the top navbar.  We even include a student course dashboard which displays relevant course information in a convenient panel.  Our new version will also have a "location aware" editing button for teachers which will return the teacher to the exact same spot on the page when switching between edit and view modes.

We will be continuing to develop and implement community-driven suggestions and features as we move forward with the Boost-based theme in core of Moodle. 

My best advice would be to define how you want the user to engage with the learning on your site and then look for a theme that best supports that. Providing too many blocks and other items sometimes introduced by the theme can just clutter up the page and make it harder for students to process where they are supposed to go and what they are supposed to do next.  In my experience, sometimes less is more when trying to complete a very specific task such as what a student would need to do in a LMS.  There are less "wrong turns" when the interface is clean, minimal, and direct.  

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi all,

thank you all for you comments. I really appreciate the time taken to help me out smile.

I have decided to go with the Fordson theme. check it out...

Attachment fordsonthemedbca.png

by Chris Kenniburg -

Great Choice and the site looks sharp!  People tend to gravitate towards the eLearning Style Preset.  I've seen several installs and people tend to like that overall look of that preset.

Was it easy enough to setup?  Any recommendations or ideas for future improvements?

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Thanks for the kind words smile

The only thing i found was that the default course image background, was the same as the site background. As you can see i have used a beach background which doesn't transpose as well for courses who don't have images.

Great theme to work with and easily customisable though. Took far less to setup than expected. 

Leticia

by Chris Kenniburg -

Great to hear.  It is always a challenge to find the right mix of customization and ease of use / setup.  

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Very nice work, Leticia.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Thanks Rick,

Much appreciated. smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Goes to show how collaboration works well with themes...new ideas...innovations...colour schemes...all adds up and provides harmony between students and teachers as well as designers and developers.

Well done Leticia

by Kritika Bhandari -

Your choice is good. I used this theme earlier. It is fantastic.

by Rahul Kumar -
All the themes that you have selected are amazing, 

I have tried all of those three themes and Let me Cut it down for you,

1. Essential theme is simple but to the point theme. It is developed for clarity, you can say that it is an upgraded version of basic Moodle theme in blue colour.
  2.  Academi theme, as the name suggests is very apt for academic LMS i.e its main focus is the courses in the LMS.
  3.  However, If you want to customize your LMS, Adaptable would be the best options for you. It has multiple customization options.
  4.  Then comes RemUI theme, it is a paid theme, but it sums up all the features mentioned above and also provides good UI for moodle LMS. I have observed that this theme has updates regularly with upcoming versions of Moodle.

For any more queries regarding Moodle you can check out this group on Facebook called " Moodle Tips and Tricks". Do check it out.

In reply to Rahul Kumar

by Hartmut Scherer -

Have you tried the Fordson theme?

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Leticia Dark-rose -

Hi Hartmut, 

Thanks for the reply.... i have actually opted for the Fordson Theme . See above screenshot. 

Your response is appreciated.

Kind Regards ,

Leticia