What means social or cognitive for indicators?

Re: What means social or cognitive for indicators?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Let me add some more questions for better understanding of indicator process. For creating models its relevant to know what an indicator measures.

I.e. A course includes weekly quizzes. The students can make each quiz several times and the quiz access is limited until end of the following week.

What does the indicator quiz cognitive measure?
There are a lot of options: simple ones like final grade or number of quiz attempts up to passing grade or much more complex like: is the grade better from attempt to attempts, grows the number of attempts from quiz to quiz during course timeline if the first attempts fails, are there additional attempts if the first attempts were successfull. How is the single indicator related to the final grade/success in the course?
I don't expect that such complex scenarios are included in the indicator definition. But if an institution uses the model they should know what is in it. The examples above shows that a lot of different scenarios are thinkable, but it will be  a nightmare to configure them all.

If there is a one activity course, with a quiz or SCORM package only. What can indicators measure?

What is the model for comparison  of training course information and real courses where a tecaher gets notification? What arethe criteria that  a notification is been created?

Ralf

P.S.. While thinking about it  a lot more questions will come in my mind.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Hi Ralf,

The Inspire system can support many models. The one that is shipped with the plugin for 3.3 is based on the "Community of Inquiry" theoretical framework. The social and cognitive indicators measure two different types of engagement.

First, each activity type has been defined according to how much social "breadth" and cognitive "depth" that activity can offer. For example, as you pointed out, a Book activity does not offer any social interaction, because learners read the Book content in isolation. A Book does not offer much cognitive interaction, either, because the learner has no opportunities to submit any content for feedback or to offer feedback of their own. A Forum, on the other hand, offers a wide range of potential social contact and also provides a capability for a learner to both receive and offer feedback, and to revise their own concepts. We then compare the available opportunity for engagement to what each student actually did with the activity. These data points are used to predict the likelihood that a student will complete a course for credit, based on the experiences of other students at the same institution. This particular model is intended to be used in fully or substantially online courses with a variety of activities over a span of time. Some additional models are supported in 3.4, and the API allows anyone to add to the models.

More information about the models in the plugin and in the Core functionality to be released in 3.4 are available in the Inspire community area: https://moodle.org/project_inspire -- this is also the best place to ask questions or offer feedback.

I hope this has been helpful,

Elizabeth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hello Eleizabeth,

I will move my questions from this and other post into the Inspire course.

Ralf