Install Katex for moodle Math rendering

Re: Install Katex for moodle Math rendering

by Daniel Thies -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Speed is not everything. MathJax has some features that KaTeX does not. In particular it is more accessible. The speed test page above exaggerates the speed difference. On more practical pages the difference is not as noticeable.

However, If you are interested in trying KaTeX in Moodle 2.8+, you can use the following procedure. Go to Site administration -> Appearance -> Additional HTML. In the box Within HEAD put

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/KaTeX/0.8.3/katex.min.css" integrity="sha384-B41nY7vEWuDrE9Mr+J2nBL0Liu+nl/rBXTdpQal730oTHdlrlXHzYMOhDU60cwde" crossorigin="anonymous">

In Before BODY is closed include

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/KaTeX/0.8.3/katex.min.js" integrity="sha384-L9gv4ooDLrYwW0QCM6zY3EKSSPrsuUncpx26+erN0pJX4wv1B1FzVW1SvpcJPx/8" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>
<script>
var texpreviews = document
.getElementsByClassName('MathJax_Preview');
for (var i = 0; i < texpreviews.length; i++) {
katex.render(
texpreviews.item(i).nextSibling.textContent,
texpreviews.item(i)
);
}
</script>

Then enable the TeX notation filter and disable MathJax filter. TeX expressions will be filtered and displayed as images first by the TeX notation filter. KaTeX will then replace the images with its display.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Dave Morgan -

Hi Daniel,

I have tried to insert your code within the head and before the BODY is closed in the Additional HTML section. It gives 'This page is not working' and 'Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).'

I am using Moodle 3.4 on a current version of Chrome.

Is there something new in Moodle that scrubs out scripts in the Additional HTML?

Thanks, Dave

In reply to Dave Morgan

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I just ran it with the development master, and it seems to be working for me. Make sure that MathJax filter is off. Normally the additional HTML is not scrubbed. Are you using one of the standard themes or a custom one? That might interfere.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Dave Morgan -

Hi Daniel, 

Thanks for your quick response. I think it may be a browser issue; no problem in FF and runs fine in Chrome after being updated in FF. Standard Boost theme.

Thanks again, Dave