I just started to really use Moodle to create my courses, and there are somethings that I love with Moodle and some things that are really annoying me.
Things that should be in the top of the priority list of "there should never be a software bug in this area" are the most complex unintuitive areas of Moodle.
Using Moodle: 3.2
Images, Video, Audio files:
The whole point of using an electronic version of a learning system instead of just using Microsoft word and saving the document is that ability to manage images, videos, and audio files.
I keep having to upload the same image over and over and over again. When I upload a file, I should be able to easily indicate if I want to save this file at the site level, the category level (department), or the course level. If I am a student, I should be able to indicate if the file is being stored as a personal file, available in all of my courses, only available for a specific course.
I can't specify that own personal wiki is the repository of choice for images, video, and audio files. I have already found and uploaded a lot of my files into a personal wiki that is outside of Moodle. Trying to connect to that ... it should be three lines in the settings (url of wiki, username for wiki, and password for the wiki). Done. But right now I have wasted over an hour trying to make a whole new plugin, and then trying to actually get the file picker to see that wiki.
Atto text editor:
If the Atto text editor has features (indent and outlining), those features should work as expected. I had to switch my editor back to TinyMCE to get this functionality.
Bring back the ability to add topics in the settings.
That is the reason why I am sticking with 3.2 until this feature comes back or course format editors are able to add this feature in their courses. I add topics by day, and there are 180 days in a school year. If I decide break up a course by semesters, that means that I have to add or delete 90 topics. Not going to happen.
I can say a bunch more items, but those would go into the category of wish list items. Right now Moodle never claims to be able to handle these items, but they would be nice.
1. Ability to autolink (as a Glossary does) of an outside personal wiki installation. I have already added a majority of vocabulary words to my own personal wiki, and I don't really look forward to having to retype them into Moodle. Why repeat the same stuff in two different places?
2. For labels, add the ability to indicate if the text should be RTL or LTR text. I had to change the core code to get this to work.
3. Add templates for the editors where the user can change the text and pictures. I saw this feature on a different elearning system. If this core functionality was setup, then teachers could create different page templates that users could install.
4. Ability to mass copy activities. For example, I have an activity "Touch Typing Lesson 1". There are 50 lesson in the book, and I want the students to be able to do 1 lesson per day (topic). That means that I have to copy it 50 times. I wish I could just say "Copy" -> "Touch Typing Lesson #" -> Auto increment number by 1 -> Add one item per topic. Then select save. Something that now takes 20 minutes would take 10 seconds.
5. Ability to easily add repositories for major CMS systems (Druple, Joomla, mediawiki).
6. Ability to easily add images the way that Mediawiki has for adding images.