Mobile App Push Notification concerns

Mobile App Push Notification concerns

by Razzak Hussain -
Number of replies: 11

First of all I would like to thank all the developers who contributed in the development of Moodle Mobile App.

I am able to configure it successfully and customize the app using the source code provided. 

We have just customized the colors and logo in the mobile app and published it to app stores.

The only thing which we are not able to fix it is mobile push notification. 

1. I just wanted to know whether Airnotifier service is applicable to the original moodle app only? 

2. Can we use this Airnotifies Pushnotification service for our customized app without setting up our own Airnotifier setup?

3. If we can use the Airnotifier for our customized app then why we are not able to receive the key even though we registered our site?

4. Also, I have checked the push notification feature on original Moodle app. There I can see only notification number on the app icon but didn't receive notification popup when I sent message. Is the pushnotification message will appear in popup like other apps does? Please confirm. I have enabled the push notification option in the app settings.

Kindly let me know your responses for above questions? Sorry to ask these questions. I didn't find answers to these question in FAQ and in forum.

I will be more happy if I can get answers to my questions. Since two weeks I am trying to find the answers but unable to get any breakthrough.

I appreciate yours responses. Many thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Razzak Hussain

Re: Mobile App Push Notification concerns

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Razzak,

you need to set up your own Airnotifier server for custom apps. The reason is that your app has its own certificates, and the official Airnotifier server uses the certificates for MoodleMobile.

The Moodle Mobile app should show a notification (popup) when receiving a push notification, like most apps do. You should be able to see this notification in the notification bar. However, in iOS the notification isn't seen if the app is active (in foreground), this is a platform limitation, so we implemented an in-app popover to display them; in this case, the notification will NOT be seen in the notification bar.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Razzak Hussain -

Thank you Dani for your responses.

I am not able to receive popup notification even for Android version in original Moodle mobile. Do we need to enable anything in the LMS? I am able to see only a number over the app icon.

Regards

Razzak

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Razzak,

please check this documentation:

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Mobile_app_notifications

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Razzak Hussain -

Thank Dani.

Do we need to have Moodle 3.3 version to make the pushnotification appear on popup?

We are using Moodle 3.1 version and we followed all the instructions mentioned in the documentation.

Regards

Razzak

by Dani Palou -

Hi Razzak,

it should work fine in Moodle 3.1.

In Moodle web, please login as the user that should receive the notification, click on the user in the top right corner and go to Preferences > Messaging. If the Moodle site is configured to send push notifications, you should see a column named "Mobile notifications". Please make sure that all the options in that column are enabled.

Also, in the end of that page you'll see a section named "Mobile notifications" (right before "General settings"). In this section you should be able to see the list of devices that you used to login as that user in the app. If your device isn't there, please try to login again in the app.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Razzak Hussain -

Thank you for the detailed settings. 

Now we have decided to use the default Moodle mobile app. 

But I am facing some other issue when registering the site. We are not able to receive the Airnotifier key even though we registered the site. 

Please see the attached screenshots for reference.

Attachment airnotifier settings.jpg
Attachment registration.jpg

by Dani Palou -

Hi,

if you send me your Moodle URL I can manually create a key for you.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Razzak Hussain -

Dear Dani

Here is the URL. Let me know if you need any other information.

http://14.139.87.226/nisa/login/

Is there any specific reason for not generating the Key from my side?

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards

Razzak

In reply to Dani Palou

by David Morake -

Hi Dani

Hope you are well.

I have setup a custom moodle mobile app as well as a custom airnotifier server for the app. I have uploaded the apple certificate to airnotifier, and setup gcm, both in the config.json file of the app and airnotifier.  I created an access key from airnotifier and set up the mobile message settings.

When I send a notification it states its been sent but nothing is delivered.  May I be missing something?

In reply to David Morake

by Dani Palou -

Hi David,

I don't know much about Airnotifier, but testing push notifications in iOS is tricky and hard to make it work. I suggest you to test them in Android.

We had lots of problems to test iOS push notifications, so we ended up testing them only on Android, and once the app is published we check that they work in iOS too (production).

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by David Morake -

Hi Dani

Thanks for your response.

We were doing the test for android devices and no notification or error message appeared.