Creating a moodle plugin for data visualisation

Creating a moodle plugin for data visualisation

by Louis Enyioha -
Number of replies: 7

I am currently carrying out my dissertation, which is on improving data visualisation in e-learning platforms and i am looking at creating a data visualisation tool (a plugin), compatible with the moodle platform.  However, I am a newbie to moodle and have a few questions.

1. Will i be able to create a customized plugin with customised features (functionalities) to address the problems I have identified?

2.  I have gone through some tutorials and videos but they are all basic, is there any more detailed tutorials i can get?

3.  If i instal a theme/template, would i be able to customise it to the functionalities i want (add and remove some features)?

4.  If i create a plugin (for my project) will i be able to rest the functionalities or do I have to submit the plugin to moodle for acceptance before i can test the functionalities?

Again I am a newbie so please forgive me if my questions seem irrelevant. I am just here to learn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Louis Enyioha

Re: Creating a moodle plugin for data visualisation

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

1). Everyone is a newbie at some point smile. You need to decide what type of plugin you are going to create, i.e. what type of learning activity is it going to be. So my speciality is towards question types. Creating a question type means you can take advantage of existing code for things like marking and starting saving and backing up instance etc. However you might want to look at other plugin types such as the assignment or assignment submission type.

2) Advanced developers generally spend their time developing rather than writing about it so your best source of inspiration is the source code from plugins. Download and read through things that do something like what you are trying to do. You might consider this book

https://leanpub.com/moodle

The author is a very experienced Moodle developer and I have been slowly reading through it for a while and it looks good.

3) I don't quite understand this question. Moodle comes with the source code under the GPL license so you can do just about anything you want with it on your own machines.

4). I am not entirely sure I understood this. If you create something and you think it is good then you are encouraged to submit it to the Moodle plugins database. It will be checked to ensure it doesn't do anything bad such as make a users system insecure and then it will be made available for anyone else to download. The benefit for you is you get to make the world a slightly better place and it might give you some extra influence when applying for a job or writing a resume.

Normally you would test any code extensively on your own installation, in fact you would do the development on an instance of Moodle on your own machine. So I have a Windows Laptop with WAMPP and constantly install and uninstall versions of Moodle and different plugins. (I am not reccomending WAMP by the way, I just happen to use it).

I hope that helps, but I expect I will have raised lots more questions. Tell us more about what you are thinking of creating.

Good luck

In reply to Marcus Green

by Louis Enyioha -

Thank you for your response and yes i have more questions.  So lets say for example, I want to create a plugin to enable tutor view student performance during a quiz (i know this already exists, just an instance to ask my question), am i supposed to instal an existing plugin and add the functionality?  Is there no creating a plugin from scratch?  I know module programming is in PHP and i am quite comfortable in PHP programming, I just need a bit guidance on how to get started and i guess i can take it up from there.  Again i am looking at developing a data visualisation tool (plugin), with custom features, does it mean that for each feature i have to create a different plugin, as i understand there are different plugin types or can i have a plugin whereby i can put in all the desired features?  Also is there a tutorial as to how i can set up courses, tutors and students accounts, etc. Sorry for asking too many questions and I appreciate your willingness to help.

Thank you in advance

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Louis,

Since you mention you are a newbie and may not have heard of this, starting with Moodle 3.2, there is a new chart.js api available to make your data visible in various styles and types of charts. It can make plugin development for data visualization much easier. https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Charts_API

Also, if you use the Generico filter, it includes a couple of chart bundles, too.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Louis Enyioha -

Thank you very much for your response it is greatly appreciated.  A few more questions, is there a possibility of creating my plugin from scratch (is this even advisable) or do i have to modify an existing plugin and add my features?   Sorry for bothering you.

Thank you in anticipation.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Louis Enyioha -

Also the plugin in question is being developed to improve data visualisation (representation of data) in e-learning platforms for higher institutions. such as how information is being presented to students and tutors.  if you could guide me on how to get along.  Actually my main hassle is to understand how programming is done in module to develop plugins.

Thank you

by AL Rachels -

"...is there a possibility of creating my plugin from scratch..." - "...how programming is done in module to develop plugins." - Anyone can create plugins for Moodle, and in fact there is some "how to" info on how create a block from scratch to get you started - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Blocks

There is also a moodle-atto-newtemplate at https://github.com/justinhunt/moodle-atto_newtemplate that can help you create a plugin for the Atto editor.