New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Bente Olsen នៅ
ចំនួនតប៖ 7
រូបភាព Testers រូបភាព Translators

The new Course Overview block not very suitable for course providers that do not use deadlines or start and end dates.The block is not targeted in cases when students can enrol in a course at any time and take lessons/activities at their own rate. In that case there will always be 'No upcoming activities due', so that tab is irrelevant. It would be great if a setting could remove it.

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Bente Olsen

Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Mary Cooch នៅ
រូបភាព Documentation writers រូបភាព Moodle HQ រូបភាព Particularly helpful Moodlers រូបភាព Testers រូបភាព Translators
What you can do since the release of Moodle 3.3.1 is that the administrator can decide which is the default tab that displays when a user goes to their dashboard and sees the course overview block - so if the default tab is changed to Courses instead of Timeline then users will not see an empty timeline with no due activities. See Course overview documentation and in particular the note about Timeline and Courses tabs.
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Mary Cooch

Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Bente Olsen នៅ

Yes, I agree, and that is what I have done. But still the old block was contrary to the new one perfectly suitable. All this new 'candy' is completely irrelevant.

Re: Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Mary Cooch នៅ
រូបភាព Documentation writers រូបភាព Moodle HQ រូបភាព Particularly helpful Moodlers រូបភាព Testers រូបភាព Translators

Then you could reinstate the old course overview block if it's more suitable to your needs?

ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Mary Cooch

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Bente Olsen នៅ

Hi Mary

I am afraid that that will be a bit too nerdy (can you say so in English) for me, and besides it will complicate updates. And will it continue to work? Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not think it is advisable for me to deal with.

Bente

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Mary Cooch នៅ

Well if you are able to install plugins the old one is here https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_overview

It will work until Moodle 3.7 apparently. Perhaps by then the changes in the new course overview block will make it usable for your situation?

ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Mary Cooch

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Bente Olsen នៅ

Thanks Mary, that does not sound that bad, I will discuss it with my site owner. Will it be installed as the Course Overview block and be overwritten when I update with git, or is it possible to have the two plugins installed side by side?

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: New Course Overview block only suitable in some cases

ដោយ Bente Olsen នៅ

It is two separate plugins - so no problem!