Drill Excerises?

Drill Excerises?

Hendrikje Schmidtpottdən -
Number of replies: 8

I am looking for something, that is probably not a STACK or math topic but a general moodle thing. But since I could definatly need it for STACK related purposes I might just try to ask around here.

I'd love to have a kind of excersise where students can redo (one or more) questions over and over again, that are basically the same type but maybe with random numbers for self assesment. At the moment they need to do test with a certain number of questions that I provide but I like them to do just as many as they like.

Is there something like this already? I can't seem to find something like this.
Thanks a lot!

Orta qiymət: -
In reply to Hendrikje Schmidtpott

Re: Drill Excerises?

Christopher Sangwindən -
Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili

Hendrikje,

I think you are asking for a particular kind of "quiz engine" here?  Is this a single question quiz? STACK certainly has the potential to provide "within question" random versions, but so do other question types."Try another version" seems a sensible option for a single question quiz.  Do you want to link questions together? If so, how will you link together questions once a student has completed one?

I agree that the current Moodle quiz has some restrictions which I don't like.   Can you specify more clearly what you do want?

I should add, that much can be done with the Moodle quiz by adding in "Description" questions.  The CodeRunner people showed me almost complete courses which were Moodle quizzes with the academic content provided by Description questions embedded in the quiz. I've done this for teachers with my demo quiz but lacked the courage with my own courses for students! I just post PDF notes... This is a challenging perspective. Should we put questions inside materials, or materials inside quizzes?  

We should discuss architecture of what we really need, so if you could describe a use case this would kick things off.

Chris 

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

Hi Chris,

at the moment I am thinking about quizzes in Classes and not the other way around since our moodle class is an addition to lectures and study groups at university. But the "class in quiz" sounds rether interesting. Until now, I only knew complete classes that were SCORM-Modules.

We try to provide materials for linear algebra. Using the quizzes I know, we can give them some sort of worksheet they need to complete to have it graded. (Or, with different options, they can get feedback directly after they did one of the questions.) But they will always have to finish the quiz to get a new one. Thats ok for some complicated questions they will do once or maybe twice.

But what I am thinking about is really a different type of quiz, that will generate questions one after another. For example: They get a complex number in polar coordinates and need to calculate the rectangular ones. Something really easy and fast forward but students still got trouble with it, so they better do it like10 times, 20 times... With the quiz-engine at the moment I can give them this question once, then they will have to restart the quiz every time, but that way they will probably do it five times at the most. The other version would be: One quiz with the same question over and over again. This seems to be a little better but rather tedious for the students who understand the whole thing.

So, what I'd love to have is to have this one question in thiz mini-quiz, they can ask for a new version or to stop the excersise at any point, after answering a question, they would get instant feedback about their result and at the end they might get a small chart how many answers were correct, how many questions were skipped, etc.   
As far as I can see, the main difference to the existing quizzes is the variable amount of questions, everything else seems to be possible already.

I was asking for more than one question in the begining, because sometimes you've got rather similar problems, and constructing two different questions would be easier, than putting everything in one question: For example working with systems of equations. I can construct "nice" systems, that have one, none or an infinite number of solutions. So that are actually three questions but they could all go in the same mini-quiz ans sometimes the student will have system a, sometimes system b. Helpful feedback would be a lot easyier, since the feedback could be different depending on the problem...

Hiram Bollaertdən -

Well, in my stats course most of the quizzes have just one question, drawn randomly from a certain category. the students can redo the quiz unlimited and everytime they see a different question. Either the numbers have changed or the complete question is different.

the questions are 'calculated questions', you can create them in Moodle using variables.

BUT you can also generate these questions from MS Excel gülürəm
By doing so you'll have the mathematical power of excel, create one question with variables in a sheet and generate for example 100 sets of data for the variables.

Look at this https://sites.google.com/site/cq4mgenerator/

some examples are there

it might be a bit cryptical to start with but find me and I'll happily help you out gülürəm

succes
Hiram

AL Rachelsdən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili Testers istifadəçinin şəkili

Hi Hendrikje,

If I understand what you want, I think you can use the Variable Numeric type question to provide drill questions like you want.

In reply to AL Rachels

Thank you, but I am not sure if I understand this correctly? is this a different type of quiz or an option for the quizzes? working in German sometimes makes it a little difficult to recognize the english names for options and things like that.
At the moment we are working with STACK-questions and with the random-function and its relatives I can genarate an infinite number of different questions of the same type. What I am looking for is a quiz-type with a variable number of questions.

Tim Huntdən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Documentation writers istifadəçinin şəkili Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Peer reviewers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili
In reply to Tim Hunt

Thank you Tim! I finally found time to take a look and this Plugin looks rather promising. Unfortunatly there is no STACK installed in the test-enviroment. Do you know, whether that combination works well?

Tim Huntdən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Documentation writers istifadəçinin şəkili Particularly helpful Moodlers istifadəçinin şəkili Peer reviewers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili

In general, it will work. Within the code, there is a good separation between question types, and activities that use questions, which means that if an activity works well with one question type, then it will work well with all of them.

However, there is one detail of that which Question practice does not handle yet - internal random variants.

In Moodle, if you have 10 similar muliple-choice questions, then those will be 10 different questions in a category in the question bank.

However, with STACK (and other similar question types like the core Calculated types) one question in the question bank can have 10 different internal variants.

Question practice does not really understand that yet. In an ideal world it would. In terms of the code, this would require some small changes to the functions like get_next_question and choose_other_question (https://github.com/marcusgreen/moodle-mod_qpractice/blob/qp_1.2/locallib.php#L148 and https://github.com/marcusgreen/moodle-mod_qpractice/blob/qp_1.2/locallib.php#L116).

I am not sure if this theoretical lack in the code will have a significant impact on students or not. It is well worth trying it and seeing. If you do try it, please let us know how it goes.