End of term/year rollover/archiving

Re: End of term/year rollover/archiving

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yep, that's what I've done in the past and what I'll be implementing this summer for my new place.

Previously they've created a new category on the existing moodle site (2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17) but that has meant manually duplicating every course into the new year.

The planned system will be to freeze enrolments, clone the site to an archive server, run an upgrade to Moodle and plugins on the LIVE server and do any planned maintenance, link the course enrolments back up so that the new cohorts get automatically enrolled from our student record system (external database plugin).

We'll keep those archives for x years, then back them up and remove them from the archive server in line with a data retention policy that is currently being discussed.

Average of ratings: Very cool (4)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: End of term/year rollover/archiving

by Hittesh Ahuja -

This is what we do too.. Take a snapshot of live source code and DB , Apply a whole lot of capabilities in bulk to restrict students and teachers doing something , change the mysqli type to a custom one that skips writing to the DB and put it on a different site. I have to admit this is not a 100% solution but it covers most avenues of disallowing users to make any changes. 

Hittesh

Average of ratings: Cool (1)