SCORM, Learning Object Grade and Completion

SCORM, Learning Object Grade and Completion

by Mattia Belletti -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I'm having a peculiar behaviour regarding a SCORM activity completion, and I don't understand if it's due to a misconfiguration, a wrong understanding of mine, or some kind of bug in Moodle (3.1).

I have a SCORM package made of two SCOs. Both are setting the cmi.core.lesson_status, but not the cmi.core.score.raw (we are just interested in the completion).

I want the SCORM package to be tracked as completed only once both SCOs are completed.

In order to do so I read the SCORM FAQ: SCORM and the Gradebook, and ended up with this configuration:

• Grade => Grading Method set to Learning objects;
  • Activity completion => Completion tracking set to Show activity as complete when conditions are met;
  • Activity completion => Require Grade set to Student must receive a grade to complete this activity;
  • Activity completion => Require minimum score set to 2 (the number of SCOs that I have), and unchecked Disable.

The logic seems sound to me. Then, I completed the SCORM package with a user, and noticed the score is correctly set to 2:

SCORM reports

Even though the score was correct, the SCORM package was still marked as not completed:

SCORM not completed

This seems related to this post. The only solution given was to rework the SCORM structure so as to make it only composed of one SCO, which is not a possible scenario in this case.

Any idea about where the problem is here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mattia Belletti

Re: SCORM, Learning Object Grade and Completion

by Mattia Belletti -

Update: by looking into the code, I think I've found a part of my answer: it was indeed a bad understanding of mine, surely not helped by the tooltips.

The problem is that the score is simply the score reported by the SCORM package. Since no cmi.core.score.raw was ever given, the score was never set, and the condition never met.

The grading mechanism is separated, and cannot be used in the completion logic.

Can anyone confirm my findings? Does anyone see a workaround for the situation?

In reply to Mattia Belletti

Re: SCORM, Learning Object Grade and Completion

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

don't use the grading options within the activity completion settings - use the "require status" field - tick the comple/passed checkboxes.