Grouping for users and THEIR courses, not just one course.

Grouping for users and THEIR courses, not just one course.

by JT Emerson -
Number of replies: 7

I have been learning about the grouping feature, but I don't think that it is exactly what I need. I am new to Moodle so feel free to point out the obvious if need be. 

I need to create a group that has a teacher and students, but the students are not all enrolled in the same course. Basically, the teacher is the leader of the group who will have the ability to create users within his group and see the reports for the students in the group. Like I said before, the students will not all be taking the same course. Immagine this for example:

A company has three employees that each operate a different type of machine. The manager of the company will have a group on the Moodle site JUST FOR HIS COMPANY. The forklift operator will take the Forklift course, the Trackhoe operator will take his course, and the Dump Truck driver will take his course. The manager can see the course progress and reports for all three employees. 

Is this type of thing possible in Moodle? How can I create this? Does grouping have the capacity to do this?

Thanks for the help guys!

-JT

Average of ratings: -
In reply to JT Emerson

Re: Grouping for users and THEIR courses, not just one course.

by Yousuf Tafhim -

I don't think grouping would work in this scenario.

In reply to JT Emerson

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Grouping is a courses only feature and specific to groups within the specific course.  So no.

What you might be looking for is application of site or category roles and cohorts.  I'll start with roles.  If you want a few people to be able to see results for all courses, you might want to give them a role at a site or category level...I have several people who manage hundreds of users.  These people need to access any course staff might take...to check participation, to enroll, etc.  I give all of them a site role that allows access to all courses.  Some of them need the ability to remove courses in specific categories, so they also have a special role in that particular category.  This sounds like what you want for your managers.

Next: cohorts.  You can create a cohort (which is a list of people, I avoid the word group because it is easy to confuse with groups and groupings...this is totally different) at the site level or category level.  You assign people to each cohort.  You enroll the cohort in the courses those specific people have to take.  If you hire a new person, you add them to the particular cohort and they get enrolled in everything required.  Using your example:  three cohorts (Dump Truck, Trakhoe, Forklift).  Each person would be added to the cohort for their job.  The cohort would be enrolled in each course necessary...if it is really only one course per job, I might not go to all this work, just have someone enroll them as they're hired.  But I'm guessing it is bigger than just one person per work skill.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by JT Emerson -
Melanie,

Thank you for the reply. I think that your explanation would work if I only needed one or two of these groups; the problem is that I need to create hundreds of them. Further explanation:

My company sells online training courses for other companies to use to train their employees. When a company wants to use our material to train their guys I would like to set up their own "branch" ("branch": meaning they basically have their own company account). The manager has a role that allows him to create users and assign courses WITHIN THE BRANCH. They cannot see any data from other branches, just their own. 

We have hundreds of clients that would want their own branch to use to manage their employee's training courses. I am just so stumped on how I could create this.

-JT

In reply to JT Emerson

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yeah...that's way beyond cohorts...I think that falls under what the big brains call multitenancy.  you might search for that...I know there have been many threads about it.

In reply to JT Emerson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You could have a look at Iomad - that does what you want.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by JT Emerson -

I am trying to set up Iomad. Because it is just moodle with some different capabilities, it is not too difficult, but I am running into a problem that maybe you can help me out with.

When I try to add an activity to a course it does nothing. The webpage is completely blank. The URL changes, but the page is blank. Usually it would allow take me to the page where I would create/customize the activity, but there is nothing. I attached some screen shots.

Attachment sc1.jpg
Attachment sc2.jpg
In reply to JT Emerson

by JT Emerson -

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look into them and if I am still having problems I will reply to this thread. Iomad looks promising. Thanks again!

-JT