SCORM doesn't automatically return to course page on completion

SCORM doesn't automatically return to course page on completion

by Ted Long -
Number of replies: 1

I've search high and wide for an answer for this one but can't help think I'm missing something really obvious for what seems like such an obvious issue.

My courses use SCORM and I like them to launch in the same browser window.  Upon a user completing the SCORM and clicking 'Submit', they then get generic text on a plain white background saying that they can close the window (this is based on the goodbye.html file within the Storyline folder).

Is it not possible for as soon as the SCORM package finishes for users to be taken back to the course over view page automatically?  I've tried tinkering with the goodbye.html file a number of times but it still seems really messy and doesn't work the way I want it to (plus it looks really bad).  I also tried to change the action when users click the submit button to redirect to a URL with the SCORM package itself, but this simply opens up that URL within the SCORM browsers window (effectively, a browsers within a browser).

Am I missing something obvious here?  Surely there must be a way for a user to be automatically redirected to the course overview page when a SCORM package completes?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ted Long

Re: SCORM doesn't automatically return to course page on completion

by Alan Zaitchik -

I know some time has gone by, but perhaps you figured this out and can share your solution. My case is slightly different but possibly could benefit from any solution you've come up with.

In my case I would like the user to be brought to a specific page in the course when the user exits the SCORM module. That is, although I added the SCORM module as an activity in Topic/Unit X, the user would launch it through a link on another course page Y (in a different Topic) and return to Y when the user exits the SCORM module.

You may wonder: why not launch from X and return to X ?

The answer is that I have a Page on which the various SCORM modules are presented in a nice table of images and descriptions I coded for this. (In fact I added a number of Pages like this, to offer different groups of related modules. These Pages were added to various course units or Topics.) So far as I can tell, it is not possible to add an Activity to a Page page. All I could do is add another Topic and call it "SCORM Module Catalogue"-- this is my "X" above-- and add all the SCORM acitivities there. Each has a unique URL so I was able to hardcode a link to the URLs in the table elements on Page Y. Everything launches just fine, but when the user exits the SCORM module the user is brought to the SCORM Module Catalogue (X).

I even tried "orphaning" the SCORM activities, but even so the user is brought back to the  SCORM Module Catalogue.

I hope the above makes sense. I would be glad to explain more if you have time and inclination to help. smile

Since your posting is old I am going to post this elsewhere in the Moodle forums, too.

Alan