Share same live instance of activities across Courses

Share same live instance of activities across Courses

by Vikram Solia -
Number of replies: 0
Hey Moodlers,

We would like to share an activity / resource e.g. a forum, database, quiz across courses easily. This currently seems impossible without copying the activities to the other courses. However, copying the activity to the other course is not sufficient as the interaction of the users i.e. forum posts, database entries, quiz grades also need to be shared. Does anybody else also feel that this is worthwhile. Please read on if you do.

I have a requirement where groups are being used to segregate the users participating in an activity with the condition that the groups can be from across courses. Also, the groups that do not want others to see them also cannot see others. However, the ones that want to see others can also see the other groups.

Have had multiple people approach us with similar requirement whose core is - it should be possible to build a repository of activities and assign them in various courses. Thereafter, all the users / user groups should be able to see other users / groups attempting this activity.

I think this would only be possible if we decouple activities from courses as well as from the user content being generated  with them. We may have to additionally also decouple some of the fields in the create / edit activity interface to provide more flexibility with regard to their accessibility etc. in different courses.

While a teacher should be able to use an activity in the activity repository, she should also be able to publish the activities she creates to the activity repository which might be promoted to the common activity repository after an approval workflow. Does this make sense?

Besides your experience and view on if you have come across such a requirement and how desirable this would be, we would love to know how complex would this be to implement and how deep the architectural changes will need to be.

In fact, a similar flexibility would be desirable for courses as well where the same course can belong to multiple categories.

Regards,
Vikram
Average of ratings: -