Unable to view the block/reports when login as student and teacher

Re: Unable to view the block/reports when login as student and teacher

by Yaniv Cogan -
Number of replies: 5

If I understand your problem correctly, setting the report as Global is irrelevant - a global report is accessible across all Courses, not across all user roles.

Since you have manually set the View Reports permission for Students and Teachers (as seen in the third screenshot), maybe try changing the permission in the permissions tab (second screenshot) from 'Anyone' to 'Report Capabilities'?

It should have the same effect in this case. If that doesn't work, could you specify exactly how you test whether or not the report is accessible?

For me the feature (permission: 'Anyone') works as expected on Moodle 2.9, but I've only tested that by changing my role temporarily to student using 'switch role to...'

In reply to Yaniv Cogan

by Sri Hari Varma Kalidindi -

Hi Yaniv Cogan,

Thanks a lot. Mine is moodle 3.1, as you said I changed 'Anyone' to 'Report Capabilities' but it didn't work.

Going into the details, I configured the reports in the dashboard page (gets displayed upon login) by login as admin and trying to view them using a student account ,but they are not getting displayed on the student's dashboard page.

Basically I want to show the reports such as "List of My Enrolled Course" for the login user and "Completion Status" of his courses in the dashboard page itself.  So that user can view his reports at a single place. Is this can be done?

One more issue

As Adele indicated, by login as a student I am able to view the report which is configured by adding the report block at individual course level. But I am unable to view the same report from other courses even when I set Display on page types to Any course Page  Or Any Page in the Configuring a Configurable Reports section, below is the screenshot. To view the report from other courses, do we need to add the report block and create the report to each course multiple times? 

Configuring

Thanks,

Varma

In reply to Sri Hari Varma Kalidindi

by Yaniv Cogan -

Hi, sorry about the late response:

I didn't realize that you were trying to add the report to the front page (the Moodle dashboard).

Since this is the case, your problem probably has nothing to do with permissions - permissions are related to user roles, and user roles only exist in relation to courses - that is, no user is defined in the Moodle universally as a student. Rather, users are defined as users, and they are connected to courses through roles (student, manager, teacher, etc.).

Anyway! try this:

As admin, go to your Moodle dashboard, navigate your way through: Administration>Site administration>Appearance>Default Dashboard page

You'll see a page that looks just like your dashboard, only with some blocks (including the configurable reports block) missing.

Click on the "blocks editing on" (top right of the page), and scroll down to the "Add a Block" form.

Add the configurable reports block and position it according to your preferences.

That's it! should work.

Have a great day,

-Yaniv

In reply to Yaniv Cogan

by Sri Hari Varma Kalidindi -

Hi Yaniv,

Yes, looks like nothing to do with permission to display the configurable reports on dashboard page. As you said no user is defined in the Moodle universally as a student and users are connected to courses through roles.

Coming into the issue, I have added the configurable reports block on the Default Dashboard page as you mentioned. But the block is not getting appeared when I login as any other user apart from Admin user. 

still is there any thing that needs to configured? 

Thanks again,

Varma

In reply to Sri Hari Varma Kalidindi

by Yaniv Cogan -

Hi Varma,
I'll try to look into this, for now - maybe this will help you:

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Dashboard#Setting_the_default_Dashboard

It appears that the missing step in my instructions is that you have to click the 'Reset Dashboard for all users' button for the changes to take place.

Unfortunately I can't find a screenshot that shows this button, and it doesn't seem to appear in Moodle version 2.9 (which is what I have access to).

In any case - please let me know if that helps.

- Yaniv

In reply to Yaniv Cogan

by Yaniv Cogan -

Also - while in the default dashboard page, did you configure the block to be visible to all, as you described doing before?

Thanks to Adele, I think you may have another solution, or at the very least another thing to check - as an admin, you can access the block and the reports within, right? how about you access one of the reports, and copy the url (directly from the url bar).

It should look something like this:

http://yourmoodlesite.org.il/blocks/configurable_reports/viewreport.php?id=reportid&courseid=1

(the &courseid=1 is unnecessary I think).

Now, try navigating to this url while logged in as a non-admin user, and see if there is any error message or something like that.

If so, please post said error, maybe it will tell us something about the problem.

Otherwise, you could try, instead of embedding the configurable reports block directly in the dashboard, embed an html block or something like that, and in that block include links to the relevant reports. Not nearly as elegant, but hopefully functional for your situation.

But please, make all these checks after you make sure to click the 'Reset Dashboard for all users' as mentioned in the previous post. Otherwise, the changes in the dashboard will only affect new users (by the way, another good check - if you create a brand-new non-admin user, can you use it to access the reports?)

-Yaniv