stop @ zipping files

stop @ zipping files

di Edith Lin -
Numero di risposte: 2

I have over 20 courses in this term and the backup is ok at the beginning.  However, several weeks ago, I found the backup process was failed in only one course.  Up to now, there are totally three courses have this problem.  All of them stopped at zipping files.  When i try to backup them manully, it works but takes 6 - 10 minutes to finish.  I've gone through some discussion in this forum talking about the backup size.  The zip files of these courses are around 3MB and I have another courses with a larger size than these can still be backed up successfully.  Since there is no change to the course content after term start, I wonder if this is because of user's data.  Anyone have any ideas?

Media dei voti: -
In riposta a Edith Lin

Re: stop @ zipping files

di Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Documentation writers Immagine Moodle HQ Immagine Peer reviewers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers
If the backup stops at zipping files I'll suggest you to use external commands to execute the zip, instead of using Moodle internal routines. Yo can do that by configuring the "zip" and "unzip" settings in your "Administration/Configure/Variables" page.

The reason is that, due to the nature of PHP, Apache and the internal zip routines, the memory needed to generate zip files are the sum of the size of the files being compressed. And, as the number of courses and their size grows, it's possible to raise some memory limit. If you use the external commands as suggested before, that memory problem will be avoided completely.

Ciao sorridente
In riposta a Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: stop @ zipping files

di tim handy -
I am having the same problem. 

in the zip and unzip settings it says that the command is for Unix only.  I have the moodle installation on a web server that school set up. i don't know whether it is a unix server or not. i have access to it via FTP, but am unsure whether what you suggest will work. 

can you give me an example of how to configure the zip/unzip options please.  I am a PE teacher with some basic knowledge of command lines... sorry.

many thanks,

tim.