Course Overview Block 2.9

Course Overview Block 2.9

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It was my understanding that the messages displayed for activities from enrolled courses in the course overview block in the 2.9 Dashboard (and beyond) would disappear when the activity was completed or when due date was in the past.  I did some more reading and it looks like maybe that only applies to assignments?

Even so, we're working on a development 2.9 site to test our customizations and stuff and the course overview block is behaving exactly the same way that it always has before (You have quizzes that are due, You have SCORM packages that need attention, You have assignments that are due), other than being more consistent than previous versions.

The messages drive our staff crazy and then, of course, they drive ME crazy.  And they don't seem to be able to remember what I say about it because the same people ask the same question over and over (and don't read the FAQ which explains it!!).

Did I misunderstand how the Dashboard would work?  Is there something I need to do to turn on the new functionality?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Course Overview Block 2.9

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I *think* it only applies to assignments - if you look at the 2.9 documentation for the Course overview block.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That's what I was afraid of.  I've put in an enhancement request on the tracker.  More surprised it hasn't been requested before.  Thanks Mary!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nathan Bruley -

Does anyone know where this message is located in the code? I'd like to at least modify it to be less confusing. I tried to do a search of the code but didn't come up with anything.

In reply to Nathan Bruley

by Nathan Bruley -

Actually what I ended up doing is adding this theme css to remove the message completely. It's at least better than confusing our users. I'm not 100% sure it doesn't affect other pages.

.activity_info {
    display:none !important;
}

In reply to Nathan Bruley

by James Roberts -

Nathan, thanks very much for that code snippet. These notifications were causing my students great confusion and I was looking for a way to turn them off. Apparently, it must be done through the CSS instructions. I frankly think this should be an option in "Site administration" somewhere. So far, I haven't noticed any adverse effects elsewhere.