More Than One Moodle Certificate

More Than One Moodle Certificate

by James Doonan -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

I am using the latest version of Moodle along with the latest version of the Certificate plugin. My problem is that I have 18 courses and I wish to give out a certificate after the user completes course 12. I also wish to give out a certificate with different text after the user completes module 18. So all in all it should be something like this:

Course 12 Completion:

User Training Certificate
This is to certify that
[Name of Student]
has completed User Training Modules 1 to
Module 12

Course 18 Completion:

Admin Training Certificate
This is to certify that
[Name of Student]
has completed Admin Training Modules 13 to
Module 18

As far as I can see I can only have one certificate, am I missing something that is ridiculously obvious?

Thanks,

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Doonan

Re: More Than One Moodle Certificate

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can have as many certificates as you want.  You just have to add them as activities to each course.  So at the end of the Course 12, just add a certificate that is restricted upon completion of all activities in that course and then the same for Course 18.

There is no way to make them contingent on previous course completion however, but if students are progressing through the courses in order, then there should be no problem. 

If your modules are all in one course, then you can add two certificates to the same course.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to James Doonan

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi James,
I guess if my dog can chase ice chucks in my  local stream, I can try to dive in to answer your question on what is turning into a beautiful Saturdaysmile 

Emma just made a post before me. She has given some alternatives by spliting your courses and using the course completion settings, which I have not used.

When I was checking "watermark stretching" in another thread,  I created 12 in one course.  While you can edit the language strings and change "Certificate of Achievement" to "User Training Certificate" that will be a site wide change and not take care of "Administrative Training Certificate".

Approaching it from a different angle, you can make as many custom worded certificates as you want.   You will need one or two custom ones.  Check MoodleDocs for adding new custom certificates here.

Perhaps you have 10 different courses with different modules, but always with a User or Admin level of certification.  In that case I would create two new certificate types, use the custom text field which can be changed in the certificate settings to say the "has completed User Training Modules 1 to Module 12" in one course and "has completed User Training Units A through Z" in another.

Or you could make a new generic certificate where the custom string and a few other standard text strings positions are always the same.  But then have something like a custom border with the appropriate words as part of the image (your user, admin, trainer, yoda, maven or what ever certificate level). Then the teacher can pick the right image, add the custom text without bothering you for yet another "custom certificate".  Images are easier to load than creating custom certificates.

Hope this helps.  And thanks Emma for jumping in! Time for me to take my dog for a walk and check out the stream.

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by James Doonan -

Hi John,

That's a big help thanks. I thought that I would maybe have to do something like that, bit hoped that there may be a way round it. Hope you had a good walk with your dog smile

In reply to James Doonan

by Peter Bowen -

Hi James,

So I am going to throw a spanner in the works. I agree with what Emma and Chris have said, however I can also offer a possible alternative.

This alternative does depend on how well you know (or are up for a dabble in) php and sql. You can copy an existing certificate, place it into a new folder, and start adjusting the way it works.

We have a certificate on a generic course which displays all courses completed, as well as the date. It also splits the courses by category, with the category heading at the top.

This kind of work could also be applied to what you have here. With some PHP - you could do the following: (psuedo code follows)

For each of the courses 1 through 12 do the following

- print name of course

- has person completed course

- yes - print date of completion

- no - print 'not completed' (or put this check at the start and simply not list the course)

- rinse and repeat

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Bowen

by James Doonan -

That's great Peter, thanks a bunch. I think I have already found a solution thanks to the previous two posts but I very much appreciate your input.