BBB recordings list is empty after updating

BBB recordings list is empty after updating

Katja Laakso གིས-
Number of replies: 10

Hey all!

We recently updated mod_bigbluebuttonbn to version 2.0.3 and mod_recordingsbn to version 1.2.1. After this, the mod_recordingsbn does not show list of recordings anymore. Our current moodle version is 3.0.2 (Build: 20160111).

I don't really get any error messages, even when debugging is turned on, but on the error_log file in recordingsbn directory gives a line similar to this when trying to access recordings:

[06-Feb-2016 08:28:38 America/Los_Angeles] http://bbb-server/bigbluebutton/api/getRecordings?meetingID=85eb3d11ce0353997ca9f14fee32b734bd414e3b-45-29&checksum=dab2be1c6b064cc71a720138cf4f654b26adeeaf

Any insight is highly appreciated! དགའ་འཛུམ་

དཔྱ་སྙོམས་ཀྱི་སྐུགས་ཚུ།: -
In reply to Katja Laakso

Re: BBB recordings list is empty after updating

Jesus Federico གིས-
Plugin developers གི་པར

Can you please tell from what versions did you update?

Thanks

In reply to Jesus Federico

Katja Laakso གིས-

Hi! དགའ་འཛུམ་

We upgraded from mod_bigbluebuttonbn version 2.0.1 and mod_recordingsbn version 1.2.0.

Thank you for responding!

-Katja

In reply to Katja Laakso

Jesus Federico གིས-
Plugin developers གི་པར

That is odd. Those versions should work right together.

There are a couple of things you can do.

First, if you put that URL in your browser, what result do you get.

http://bbb-server/bigbluebutton/api/getRecordings?meetingID=85eb3d11ce0353997ca9f14fee32b734bd414e3b-45-29&checksum=dab2be1c6b064cc71a720138cf4f654b26adeeaf

I know it is kind of a dumb question but I need to ask. After updating the plugins, did you execute the update database

Could you also clean the caches from Moodle?

Raül Cambeiro གིས-
Hello Jesús,

We've found a similar problem, if not the same, upgrading the plugin from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3.

Apache's error log shows an URL like this (subdomain and id's redacted):

http://xxxxxx.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/api/getRecordings?meetingID=xxxxxxxxx,yyyyyyyy,zzzzzzzz,aaaaaaaaa,bbbbbbb,ccccccccc,ddddddddd,eeeeeeeee,fffffffff]&checksum=d7ee494caec7758bd55dc721370fd67073ff31fb

which accessed directly answers an XML with returncode=SUCCESS and 6 recordings. Those come from 4 different BigBlueButton activities.

Those 6 recordings can be viewed with a RecordingsBN activity, but not from each BigBlueButtonBN activity as before, which now display the message "There are no recording for this meeting." in every instance.

The plugin was properly upgraded and we just purged caches again just in case, to no avail.
In reply to Raül Cambeiro

Jesus Federico གིས-
Plugin developers གི་པར

The getRecordings executed for RecordingsBN is different than the one executed for BigBlueButtonBN. Basically the only difference is the meetingID, but in this case it is what matters. You need to see if the getRecordings executed by BigBlueButtonBN is done properly and it is returning something.

So go to the BigBlueButtonBN activity and see the logs to find what it has been sent.

It should look the same, but with only one meetingID

http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/api/getRecordings?meetingID=xxxxxxxxx&checksum=d7ee494caec7758bd55dc721370

The meeting id should actually be something like xxxxxxxxxxx-m-n where m is the course id and n is the activity id.

If you don't see the getRecording request in the logs more likely you don't have the activity configured to be recorded.

There are more things you can check, but lets start with this for the moment.

Let me know your findings

By the way, if you are using test-install, which I think you are, keep in mind that recordings only last for 14 days.

JF

Katja Laakso གིས-

Hey Jesus!

The URL seems to generate an XML document tree, which starts with "<response>
<returncode>SUCCESS</returncode>" and then moves on to give a title and url to the recording in question. I can provide a full file for you if needed.

And yes, after we updated plugins the database was updated too. I cleaned caches from Moodle, but it didnt affect this problem.

Also i noticed that this seems to be happening only with recordingsbn, so when accessing recordingsbn page, there is only the title (from moodle) and a blank page (no table at all).

But when accessing bigbluebuttonbn page (which now says "this conference has ended."), there is a table with link to a recording visible. 

In our case this is just for our newest lecture, from other courses we have removed these bigbluttonbn pages and have only used recordingsbn (if you understand what i mean, i'm not really an expert with moodle).

Thank you for your time! དགའ་འཛུམ་

In reply to Katja Laakso

Jesus Federico གིས-
Plugin developers གི་པར

Hi Katjia,

Ok, let's see then. We can be sure now that the problem is localized to the RecordingsBN plugin, although the feed is provided by BigBluebuttonBN, this is why I was asking you to make sure both plugins were updated. 

But it's correct. mod_recordingsbn version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0) works with mod_bigbluebuttonbn version 2.0.3 (or 2.0.4). That being said. It may be a problem with the YUI library, the YUI datatable, the js that comes with the plugin, the js feed produced by bigbluebuttonbn by itself, or it could even be a clash with another plugin library. So let's narrow it down.

Since I haven't been able to reproduce it on my own I am going to ask you to do two things:

1. Since version 2.0.x there are a couple of options you can configure in RecordingsBN. One of them is to enable/disable the use of the YUI datatable to present the recordings. The use of this YUI datatable comes enabled by default. Please configure the RecordingsBN plugin for using only html by checking the box 'UI as html is enabled by default.'

Let me know if this solves the problem.

2. Now, regardless of your result with the action number one, can you please:

a) make sure the HTML option is uncheked in the configuration, 

b) enable the development console in chrome (by pressing F12) https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/debug/console/console-ui?hl=en

c) go to the RecordingsBN page in your course again and see if there are errors in the console. 

If there are errors, please take an screen shot and paste it in here.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Jesus Federico

Katja Laakso གིས-

Hi and thanks again!

I did as you instructed, and here are the results:

1. I checked the box 'UI as html is enabled by default' in the RecordingsBN plugin settings, but the table is still missing. 

2. I unchecked the HTML option and with chrome's development console enabled i went to RecordingsBN page and got one error, screenshot below:

Regards,

Katja

Donna Lee གིས-

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for all your help with this.

I was wondering if the info and screenshot that Katja provided gave you any clues as to what may be going on.

In reply to Donna Lee

Jesus Federico གིས-
Plugin developers གི་པར

Hi Donna,

Sorry, I had a few days off, but I am back! དགའ་འཛུམ་

Based on the screenshot she sent it looks to me that there are two different problems here.

1) if the table based on html is not rendered means either that the RecordingsBN plugin is not finding information in the bigbluebuttonbn_logs table or that the recordings don't exist in the bigbluebutton server.

The only way to confirm that is by reading the logs in both, the BigBlueButton server to se how the request is arriving (if it is) and in the Moodle web server to see how the request is being built.

Do you have access to the logs in both servers?

2) for the second problem, as suspected it looks like a problem with the language packages. What is your language by default in Moodle and what other languages do you have installed?