Elegance theme - custom log-in images not appearing

Re: Elegance theme - custom log-in images not appearing

by graham green -
Number of replies: 22

Hi Mary,

This may be a silly question - but where is that setting?   Can't seem to find it.

Thanks

graham

In reply to graham green

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well according to the code in Elegance settings.php I would guess just above the place you added the images? Reading the code there looks to also be an option to choose the number of images you can have. With a MAX of three. So you must have had to choose that, so you probably missed ticking the checkbox to enable the login image rotator?

In reply to Mary Evans

by graham green -

Hi Mary,

I already have that selected - i.e., how many images I want to use and also have the images selected.

There is no separate checkbox to turn on or activate the custom log in screen.  

I just have the one you mention where i choose how many images, and under that, i have the settings for those images i have chosen (i.e. upload which image).

I have all of that set, and have cleared the theme cache (refer to image below).   

custom image

I have tried changing that number of images in the background number and clearing the cache each time,  also tried changing different images with different sizes, but nothing ever appears.

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, but I see to recall there used to be  separate setting somewhere where I say "yes or no" if i want to use the custom log in screen.  But I don't know if that was for Elegance or another theme - but i cannot find that setting now.  Either it was in an earlier version or it has jumped off the screen - or I am blind to the obvious smile

Thanks

Graham

In reply to graham green

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Unfortunatly I cannot test this right now but the setting for the Custom Login is a setting in its own right. Just wondering if the setting is keyed to the type of login page you have set in Moodle. But if Emma says that there is none, then it must be automatic, however the language string suggest otherwise.

Could you send me a private message containing a link to your site? Just wondering if it is a server problem or a local cache one. Clearing the cache on your browser may be helpful in that case.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to graham green

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The old version had a checkbox as well - I am not seeing it anywhere on this version.  It is just a matter of changing the number from 0 to however many pictures you have.  Funnily enough I never used this feature until I was testing Elegance but I really like it!

I notice your filenames are extremely long - not sure if that is an issue or not..

Try turning on designer mode and see if that works - that might at least tell you if it is a cache issue..

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mary Evans -

These are the language strings related to the login custom setting.

https://github.com/bmbrands/moodle-theme_elegance/blob/master/lang/en/theme_elegance.php#L237-L238

And this is in the Elegance config.php

https://github.com/eduridden/moodle-theme_elegance/blob/master/config.php#L58-L64

but the actual setting as far as I can see looks to be missing from the settings.php

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by graham green -

Good morning Mary and Emma,

We've must tried a complete test.  Deleted all the images we had in the custom login box, changed it back to 0 images, saved it and then cleared the cache.

Tested it and no images show up on the custom login screen.  As expected.

Then went back and selected 1 image.  As per Emma's suggestion, renamed the image to a shortened image of tam.jpg, changed the number to one image and saved it.   Also reset the cache.  

Tested it and no images showed up.

Then tried the Developer theme settings.  Besides making the site slow (which is expected), nothing showed up.

We then changed the Developer theme settings back to default, i.e. "No" and the site sped up (as expected), went back and tested the custom login screen and still no images.

So something is not working.  As we have identified, there is no separate checkbox to activate this feature anymore - there is just the options to choose how many images and what images. 

Mary - If possible, i understand you cannot test this now, but when available can you please check this.

Thanks

Graham

In reply to graham green

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So I found the other post where someone was having an issue - it appeared in their case that is was a problem with the file /theme/elegance/ajax/themesettings.php - can you check that that is there and has the correct permissions.  Perhaps there might be an ajax conflict?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by graham green -

Hi Emma,

We have the file /theme/elegance/ajax/themesettings.php present and it has the permissions of 0666.  Is that correct permission level?

Thanks

Graham

In reply to graham green

by Emma Richardson -

I would think so - that appears to be how mine is set.  Very strange - as I mentioned, it is working perfectly on my dev site...how about ownership - does the apache user own it (or relevant webservice)?

I do, however, notice that the file references a slide speed and I see no actual setting for that..

In reply to graham green

by Mary Evans -

Hi Graham,

Just wondering now if you have AJAX enabled in Moodle?

Site Administration > Apperance > JavaScript & AJAX

It might be that there is a setting that you have turned off?

I'm about to check the theme out now so will be back shortly.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, I've read the code and:

1. Core AJAX settings will have no effect.
  2. There is a slidespeed setting: https://github.com/bmbrands/moodle-theme_elegance/blob/master/settings.php#L145
  3. I think the issue is: https://github.com/bmbrands/moodle-theme_elegance/issues/145

Therefore clear out the 'browser' cache and things should work.

Or when uploading the images on the settings page, the user is not saving the page using the button at the bottom.

In reply to graham green

by Mary Evans -

I have just upgraded Moodle 3.0 to latest version (Build:20151126)

Installed Bootstrap & Elegance from the Plugins repository.

The test was successful so must be something to do with your set up Graham.

Here is a screenshot.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by graham green -

Thanks Mary,

This has me beat, but oh well.  

We just double checked as a user on a newly built machine in a our dev environment - therefore nothing in the browser cache.   No images appeared on the custom log-in screen.

For some reason it is not working on our system. 

Thanks for your help anyway but we have to leave it now and start putting some time on our courseware.

Hopefully it may magically come back after the next upgrade. smile

Graham

In reply to graham green

by Annick F -

Hi,

I am having the same issue when using Internet explorer, fine with Google chrome and Firefox.

Could the problem be linked to the browser?

Annick

In reply to Annick F

by Mary Evans -

It could be the fact that Elegance is not compatible with Moodle 3.1.

Try turning on DEVELOPER level  debugging in

Administration > Site Administrations > Development > Debugging

Than go to the Frontpage of your site.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Annick F -

I don't seem to be able to change the 'Debug messages' from NONE to DEVELOPER, when saving the page it always revert back to NONE.
As you said they might be some compatibility issues. 

Thanks

Annick

In reply to Annick F

by Mary Evans -

Change to Clean theme and then try again.

In reply to Annick F

by Emma Richardson -

That sounds more like a permissions issue on your site.  Check permissions on your moodle folder.

In reply to graham green

by Emma Richardson -

At the top of the Login Screen Settings.  Select the number of images and then save the page.  Then come back and add your images.  I guess there is not so much an activate button...

Have you tried clearing caches..?  I have it working on 3.0.