Moodle Tip: Notifying students about new resources in your course

Moodle Tip: Notifying students about new resources in your course

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

One question often asked in these forums is 'Is there a way students can be notified automatically when a new file is uploaded to their course?' The short answer is that there is no quick and easy way to do this, but a good workaround is for the teacher to post in the News forum whenever they add something. All students should be subscribed to the News forum and so should receive notification of this. However.. that involves the teacher remembering to post; it's not automatic.

There is another way, using Event monitoring, available since Moodle 28. With this, students are automatically notified of all new items added to the course - not just uploaded files. 

Here's how to set it up:

• Event monitoring needs to be enabled on your site from Site administration >Reports >Event monitoring rules. (The admin should check first that this won't have any detrimental effect on performance.)
  • The admin must then give students the permission to subscribe to rules by going to Site administration > Users >Permissions > Student and editing the student role so that the capability tool/monitor:subscribe is set to 'Allow'. (The admin should think first about any possible consequences with enabling this.)
  • The course teacher then goes to Course administration >Reports > Event monitoring rules and clicks to add a new rule.
  • This rule might be called something like 'New items in History 101'. The area to monitor is 'core' and the event to monitor is 'course module created'.
  • The 'Notification message' allows you create the message that the students will receive whenever a new item is added to the course. Using placeholders (click the question mark icon for suggestions ) you can phrase your message - for example:

• The student needs then to know that they have to subscribe to this 'rule' by going to the user menu top right, clicking on the Preferences page and then clicking the (new) link 'Event monitoring rules'. When they select their course, they should see the rule and be able to subscribe to it by clicking the +plus sign on the right:

•   The next time the teacher adds something to the course (for example uploading a file) the student will be notified. Here's an example of an email received, showing how the notification message displays:

Event rule email

Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle Tip: Notifying students about new resources in your course

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary

Top of the day to you. Thanks for this.

The student needs then to know that they have to subscribe to this 'rule' by going to the user menu >top right, clicking on the Preferences page and then clicking the (new) link 'Event monitoring rules'.
>When they select their course, they should see the rule and be able to subscribe to it by clicking the
>+plus sign on the right:
>
Is there a way to force the students to be subscribed to the 'rule'. So that before they even go to their Preferences page, they are already subscribed, and that they go to Preferences page to unsubscribe by clicking the toggle sign to off(?)

Cheers
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

My guess is "no". Because I just came back from https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Event_monitoring#How_to_subscribe_to_a_rule and I didn't see anything about forcing the event monitoring on a user by default. That means I have to set it up and then E-mail all my 50+ students to subscribe to the rule and show them the screenshots so that they will know how to do it. *slight and almost-silent Sigh*

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Frankie,

I was also looking how to subscribe students initially. In phpMyAdmin I found the subscriptions in mdl_tool_monitor_subscriptions. Perhaps this helps.

With kind regards,

Hartmut