BCU Theme Suggestions

Re: BCU Theme Suggestions

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It's easy to add you own custom styles to a theme that has a CSS section in the themes custom settings area. All you need is the original CSS for the elements you want to change, and add that together with your changes, into the CSS section found in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > BCU settings page. That's why the CSS setting option is available to you in most themes,

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Barbara Taylor -

Thanks Mary for this information about CSS.  We are using the theme now and need to make some changes that I am having a hard time understanding since I am not a theme developer. 

My suggestions:

Make it easier to increase the login link in the upper right.  The font is so small that many of our users don't see it.

The block links need to be blue hyperlinks.  The black text doesn't let anyone know they are links.  The font size needs to be larger. 

The menu links need to be blue hyperlinks and larger font.  Users can barely read the text and don't know those are hyperlinks.

The footer text is stuck in one box on our production server but not a test server.  I'm not sure what is causing that.  There is a lot of space between the 4 available boxes at the bottom and the footer.  It would be nice if that could be skipped if not used.

The front page slider is great but is impossible for us to use.  It takes too long to load and users are ignoring it.  Images come across empty while the page is loading. 

The Frontpage Info Box and Secondary Info Box colors should be easy to change. 

Within a course:

In a course, clicking on the icon to highlight a topic area doesn't change the color.  Is there CSS code I can put to change it? 

Where can I change the images for icons in a course?  For example, the eye is difficult to read and people are used to an open eye and a closed eye from a previous them.

The background color for the topic should be easily changed.  The font for the topic should also be easily changed.  Right now the background is grey and the font color is blue/black and not enough contrast to standout to users.

Narrowing the blocks would make more space available for content.

As mentioned, being able to put blocks on both the left and right would be helpful. 

Adding Red to the delete (edit settings) would make that easy to see (and make users more cautious).

I have specific questions about CSS but I'll create a new thread for those.

Thank you,

Barbara

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Barbara Taylor

by Jez H -

Thanks for your suggestions Barbara,

Being able to style blocks / links will be in the next version (but not font size, I will have a think about that).

Thanks for the pointer on highlighting the topic, that will also be fixed.

I think the issues about things (slider / footer) not loading are to do with your installation / setup.

I am not sure there is a way to style "delete" in red, if there is we will do that but on a related note you shoudl check out the recently released "recycle bin" plugin:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/local_recyclebin