Linking the Book module and github - initial thoughts

Re: Linking the Book module and github - initial thoughts

by David Jones -
Number of replies: 0
G'day Mary,

Like many projects, this one is scratching my own itch. In this case, higher education, but it may be useful elsewhere. The post talks briefly about this (under why?).

The main intent is to help get around the problem captured in a quote I saw yesterday
What goes into the LMS stays there.
...and then gets deleted.

I use the Book module a fair bit and that content is stuck in the LMS. Linking github into the book hopefully helps the content both be used effectively within Moodle, but also be available outside of Moodle in a way that enables collaborative authoring. I'm looking at more than just information distribution.

The two main personal use cases are:
  1. Within my university.
    At least one other academic is already using a couple of the "books" from my course in another. Being able to use github will hopefully enable easier collaboration/sharing of the work (both ways).
  2. Outside the university
    For a number of reasons, I don't see hordes of people crying out for my content. However, it's not uncommon for students to ask for access after they've left. Again, I'd like this sharing to be more than just distributing what I've done. I'd like to open up the possibility that some of my past students - now professionals - are able to contribute back.

I believe that there may be a small population of people out there that might be interested in one or both of these.

David.