Custom Moodle App

Re: Custom Moodle App

על ידי Jérôme Mouneyrac בתאריך
מספר תגובות: 3

Hi Ravi,

is it possible to see a video demo of this app on a phone? Is the reactjs code on Github? Have you play with react native (recently it was release on Android)?  I am curious to know what we can obtain with react native.

Thanks for sharing the screenshots and story anyway, it looks like some very nice work חיוך

Jerome

בתגובה ל: Jérôme Mouneyrac

על ידי Ravi Alamuri בתאריך

Hello Jerome,

My apologies for the late reply. I became a father to a baby boy in October last year and that has pretty much consumed my life out of work so far! I am just getting around to catching up with everything outside of work.

I did not work with React Native though it looks very interesting. We are debating if we should go fully native for our next release as we have complete integration with Forums, Quiz and Assignment submissions through Turnitin in the works now and we have definite plans to have separate versions of the app for tablets and mobiles. It seems logical to us to move to native apps for better performance as we have a lot more functionality to look at.

We haven't had a chance to strip out all the custom code which has delayed the release of our code on to Github, but I will be doing that very soon. At the moment the only way to see this on the phone is to download the app of the appstore or have a developer version installed through PhoneGap or Testflight.

Regards

Ravi 

בתגובה ל: Ravi Alamuri

על ידי Jérôme Mouneyrac בתאריך

No worries Ravi, I have a 11mo baby too חיוך

To give an update on React native, I have been working with these last months. I published an app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bepaw.esportninja&hl=en) which includes many things like firebase, offline, analytics, ios/android support... I am currently creating a second app (an audio/video recorder).
The tech is very impressive if you ever had to develop native/hybrid app before. And it is super fun. However It is still quite early-production-stage as the lib keeps been updated with a few breaking stuff, or new coding recommendation every 3 months. It is just my "feeling" estimation. So React Native is not perfect at all but we can obtain quite nice result with it and from my previous experience it was more a pain to develop in native/hybrid... knowing that I already had experience when starting using React Native which may reduce my feeling of developer pain, and that I also didn't code much with ionic/angular. Apparently the Moodle mobile team reached a stage where development speed up quite a lot חיוך