Essential theme error when moving activities using Chrome

Essential theme error when moving activities using Chrome

by Tracey Collins -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

We are using Moodle v2.8 with Essential theme v2.8.1.5 (Build: 2015040900). 

When using Chrome (v43.0.2357.134 m) to move an activity or resource the entire screen turns blue, so we see the following:

Moodle screen with blue overlay

I have tested moving activities and resources with the Clean theme and this does not occur. 

This is also happening when using drag and drop quiz questions, so it is quite a large issue for us.

Does anyone know what is causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tracey Collins

Re: Essential theme error when moving activities using Chrome

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Does that happen in the Topics course format?  Is it Chrome only?  What course format is that?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, upon closer inspection of the screen shot, the drag and drop icons have not changed.  Thus the JavaScript is broken for some reason in one of anything and might not be Essential.  When you tested with Clean, was it the same site?  If you turn on browser development tools (F12) look at the Console and reload the page, what errors happen?

by Tracey Collins -

Hi Gareth,

The course format I was using was OneTopic, however I have tested with another course using the Topics layout and I have the same problem (see image below). 

We have tested in IE9 and Firefox and the problem doesn't occur.

I did test the same site and course page when using the Clean theme and didn't have any trouble.

With the developer tools open I can't see any errors in the console. I can move the activity or resource successfully, however the screen is all blue until I click somewhere else on the screen to clear it.

Image of moving error with developer tools console

Tracey

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, user error, can replicate in Clean theme, when cursor is a 'caret' one then this will select things on the page....

Attachment 2015-07-22 13_26_56-Course_ Topics.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

And when a caret cursor also in Essential....

Attachment 2015-07-22 13_24_49-Course_ Topics.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

However, if one is more careful and observes that the cursor changes to a double cross head arrow, then no blue and surprise surprise, drag and drop works.....

Attachment 2015-07-22 13_25_11-Course_ Topics.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

In fact, I might change it to: http://fontawesome.io/icon/arrows/ such that it's bigger or some other LESS -> CSS way.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Next version will have a bigger icon, padding to facilitate a larger cursor area, cursor changed to one appropriate....

Attachment 2015-07-22 18_45_43-Course_ Grade.jpg

by Tracey Collins -

Hi Gareth,

The traditional arrow icon would be better if the issue is caused by users not clicking on the button correctly. However I don't think this is necessarily correct. I have tried dragging a block using the arrow icon and I am still seeing the blue.

It also doesn't explain the issue occurring when using the drag and drop question type. 

Tracey

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok,

In Chrome V44.0.2403.89m I can find no fault in either Moodle 2.8 or 2.9 with the qtype_ddimageortext (https://moodle.org/plugins/view/qtype_ddimageortext).  The cursor is correct.  The size of the drag-able item is correct.  The icon is big enough and the double crosshead.  I will NOT be changing the other icon as previously stated because:

1. That's the way it has been since Julian created the theme.
  2. Because of '1', I'll only get complaints about it being changed.
  3. It works for me without issue, but the next release will be sightly bigger.

If you would like a custom child theme with the alteration, then I'd be happy to quote for it.

M2.9 ddimageortext:

Attachment 2015-07-23 12_53_08-DDImage.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

M2.9 block move:

Attachment 2015-07-23 12_55_59-Course_ Grade.jpg