Competency Based Education

Re: Competency Based Education

by Damyon Wiese -
Number of replies: 11
(4) The formats for competency frameworks are really varied - so we are going to rely on plugins for this functionality. I am finalising a CSV import/export plugin that will be in the plugins database for 3.1 (https://github.com/damyon/moodle-tool_lpimportcsv) - and I have another one in progress for RDF/XML (based on samples from http://www.achievementstandards.org/ ).

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by victor REMY -

Thank you Damyon Wiese

it would be interesting to enable printing of the learning plan (for a cohort, or a student) and the competency framwork (PDF / Word/ or XML)

Victor REMY

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Damyon,

Is your CSV import/export plugin in a usable state yet? Meanwhile, I am going to try it out. I ask because I just copied the example CEFR (2016) framework from qa.moodle.net by hand to my 3.1 qa test site and it is quite time consuming with the possibility of easily making mistakes. I can see that there is a real  need for a way to import and export frameworks even if it is just to move a framework from a sandbox site to a production one.

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, I hate to answer my own question, but for anyone else who is interested, Damyon's CSV import/export plugin works great. Just installed it in two 3.1Beta sites and transferred a framework in just a few seconds. Copying the example by hand the first time from qa.moodle.net to one of my sites took about 15 minutes.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Damyon Wiese -
Thanks for testing it - yes I consider it ready - it's waiting for approval in the plugins DB already.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by AL Rachels -

Thanks for the feedback. I will be looking for it in the plugins DB. I am already getting a lot of use with the version from github. Makes it easy to find where I made mistakes in setting up ID's, shortnames, etc. It is so much easier to spot those mistakes when viewed all together in a spreadsheet especially when you have a bunch of competencies.

Thanks again for the plugin.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by AL Rachels -

Hi Damyon, and everyone,

I just ran into a problem, and think you might be able to provide some guidance. I have been experimenting with creating competency frameworks based on courses of study from Alabama and Minnesota. Today when I got to my 12th one, I realized I probably should not be putting them all at the system level for ease of management. I looked and discovered frameworks could be made at the category and sub-category levels, which leads to a few questions.

• Is there any way to organize frameworks similar to what can be done with categories and courses so it cuts down on the number of them I see depending on what part of the site I'm working in? I would hate to wind up with scroll of death page of frameworks because I might make so many at one level of the site.
  • Is there any way to move a competency framework from system category to another category or sub-category level? Or vice versa from a lower category to a higher one?
  • So far, using your github version of the framework import/export plugin, the tool is only available at the system level, but it does let me select a framework from another category/sub-category for export.
  • Using the same tool, the only place I seem to be able to import to is the system category. Is there any way to import to a category or sub-category level? (A side note: I get an 'Invalid persistent' message when I import a duplicate of a framework already in the site.)

Thanks for any insight/answer anyone can provide.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Al - I don't have any answers but I just have to say I think your questions are very good indeed smile I have been doing more exploring with competencies myself this weekend and the system/categories competencies questions are ones I have been wondering about myself. Also competencies in Moodle are very new, of course, and I think we'll discover more features needed as more people start using them.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by victor REMY -

Hello Damyon Wiese

I tried to install the plugin (https://github.com/damyon/moodle-tool_lpimportcsv)  downloaded to the given address

I have the following error message :

• assignementupgrape :  missing hard drive (absent du disque dur)
  • availibilityconditions : missing hard drive (absent du disque dur)
  • behat  : missing hard drive (absent du disque dur)

thank you help me solve this problem

In reply to victor REMY

by Damyon Wiese -
Hi Victor, this is an odd looking error - my guess is that the plugin is not installed in the correct location. This is an "admin tool" so it needs to be installed to "/admin/tool/lpimportcsv". Once it is available in the plugins DB you can get moodle to download and install it for you.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Nicholas Fahey -

I received the same "assignment upgrade" error after installing. I did need to rename the file and manually install rather than import the zip through the install plugin interface. After, the error continued but did not seem to effect installation.