Is Nested Trigger required to be enabled for Moodle?

Is Nested Trigger required to be enabled for Moodle?

door Johnny Lo -
Aantal antwoorden: 2

We are currently running 2.6 with MS SQL 2005 planning to upgrade to 2.8. Therefore, I need to get MSSQL Server 2008.

I have a MSSQL Server 2008 being used by another system which require nested triggers be turned off. According to the vendor this is not default SQL installation.  Can anyone tell me whether Moodle requires nested triggers to be turned on? I need to to find out whether I can use the same MSSQL Server 2008 for my Moodle upgrade.

I searched for "nested triggers" in this forum with no luck. 

Secondly, the server collation is not UTF8. Would it help improve performance if the database collation is set to UTF8? Would Moodle work in such setting cause I read something about if the server and database are of different collation, temp db cannot be used.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

p.s. I checked 2.8's database requirement again just now to find that "First of all, minimum required version of MSSQL has been stabilised to MSSQL 2005 (v.9)."  (https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Installing_MSSQL_for_PHP.)

Is that new? I clearly recall MSSQL requirement for 2.7 and up is 2008.

Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen:  -
Als antwoord op Johnny Lo

Re: Is Nested Trigger required to be enabled for Moodle?

door Tim Hunt -
Foto van Core developers Foto van Documentation writers Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Peer reviewers Foto van Plugin developers

I would trust https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.8_release_notes#Database_requirements which say 2008. The other page must be out of date.

I don't think Moodle uses any database triggers, recursive or not.

Als antwoord op Tim Hunt

Re: Is Nested Trigger required to be enabled for Moodle?

door Johnny Lo -

I knew I read about 2008 somewhere. Thank you Tim.

Has anybody used the database transfer feature? I have 4 Moodle sites running as IIS applications on a server. They connect to a MSSQL database using different table prefixes on a separate server. In my case, I am migrating the database to a newer version of MSSQL. Does using this migration feature have any benefit over a database backup and restore? Now that I'm migrating, would there be benefit splitting up the databases for my Moodle sites?